NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Post by rainmaker »

Enjoy!

Digital Performer™ 10

Audio Workstation Software with MIDI sequencing

Digital Performer lets you record, edit, arrange, mix, process and master audio and MIDI tracks to produce musical recordings, sound tracks and other audio production tasks. Version 10 adds many new features, including the Clips window for live triggering and looping of audio and MIDI clips, Stretch Audio powered by industry-leading ZTX PRO™ technology, VCA faders, a new convenient Content Browser, VST3 plug-in support, scalable UI and a 5 GB soundbank containing hundreds of virtual instruments.

Digital Performer is used every day, around the world, to create, produce and perform music and audio tracks for prime-time TV, blockbuster movies, live mega-tours, viral Youtube videos and platinum albums.

Easy to use, yet powerful enough for top professionals, DP is packed with the latest advanced audio/MIDI production technology, including in-line ZTX Pro™ audio stretching and pitch-shifting, dozens of advanced plug-ins and hundreds of virtual instruments.

Whether you're running the show for your next club or stadium gig, or you just want to write a song and stream it online, DP gets you there quickly with advanced features and intuitive, streamlined design.

Feature highlights

• Complete desktop studio production.

• Unlimited sequences, songs, V-racks, tracks, audio voices and undo history.

• Highly customizable user interface.

• Comprehensive MIDI and audio editors.

• Clips window for live performance.

• Takes, comping and loop-recording.

• Advanced video/film scoring features.

• State-of-the-art mixing and processing.

• Elegant music notation entry, editing, printing and MusicXML exporting.

MOTU's award-winning Digital Performer lets you record, edit, arrange, mix, process and master MIDI and audio tracks simultaneously to produce musical recordings, sound tracks for film and television, and other audio production tasks.

For both Mac and Windows, Version 10 adds many new features, including the Clips window for live triggering and looping of audio and MIDI clips, Stretch Audio powered by industry-leading ZTX PRO™ technology, VCA faders, a new convenient Content Browser, VST3 plug-in support, scalable UI and a 5 GB soundbank containing hundreds of virtual instruments.

Get started quickly with a host of virtual synth plug-ins, MOTU’s incredible MX4 multisynth instrument (now included), plus a 5 GB library of multi-sample acoustic instruments, synths, loops and phrases with over 300 different instruments, 1100 instrument presets and 500 loops. Included are acoustic and electronic drum kits, pianos, guitars and basses, along with church organs, electric organs, strings, brass, woodwinds, synths, ethnic instruments, choirs, voices, percussion, sound effects and more. This versatile collection of instruments spans musical genres, eras, geographical regions and cultural styles.

Shape, sculpt, twist and otherwise process your tracks with 90 included real-time audio and MIDI effect plug-ins. You get 32-bit processing and 64-bit mastering. Highlights include the efficient ProVerb™ convolution reverb, MasterWorks EQ™ modeled after British console EQs, MasterWorks Leveler™ modeled after the legendary LA-2A optical leveling amplifier, MegaSynth™ subtractive-synth guitar processor, the meticulously crafted MasterWorks™ FET-76™ emulation of the classic 1176 (revisions D/E), the Hardware Insert plug-in, MultiMode Filter™, Pattern Gate™ and many more.

Driven by ZTX PRO™ technology, cutting-edge audio time-stretching and pitch-shifting DSP developed by the renowned engineering team at Zynaptiq GmbH, DP's unique track-based pitch automation delivers unprecedented control over audio pitch, non-destructively in real time, from simple pitch correction using the pencil tool, to individual note transposition, to wholesale transposing of an entire audio track.

Also driven by ZTX PRO ™, DP's amazing Beat Detection Engine™ technology gives you complete control over the rhythm, tempo and groove of your audio. Align any audio to the tempo of your project. Quantize beats within audio. Extract and apply grooves from/to any audio or MIDI. Edit beats with hands-on precision.

For studio production, song writing, film scoring, live performance, remixing, post production and surround mixing, Digital Performer gets you there quickly with advanced features and intuitive, streamlined design.

DP10 New Feature Highlights

Clips window – Drag and drop audio and MIDI clips from DP's new Content Browser into Clips window cells and trigger them in real time, interactively, for live performance or on-the-fly inspiration while creating new material.

Stretch Audio – Use the new Stretch edit layer in audio tracks to drag individual beats and their anchor points to make precision adjustments for exactly the right feel. For global tempo control, simply enable Stretch mode on a per-track basis and the entire audio track instantly conforms to the project tempo and time line, even with gradual tempo changes over time. ZTX PRO™ technology from Zynaptiq™ ensures the highest possible audio quality throughout.

Beat Detection 2.0 – Enhanced beat detection engine makes it easy to conform imported rhythmic audio to the project tempo by just dropping it into the track.

VCA faders – As with classic analog consoles of years past, VCA faders can control any number of tracks, precisely maintaining their relative volume. You can create as many VCA groups as you wish and even control VCAs with other VCAs to create multiple nested sub-groups. Mix automation can be applied to VCAs and sub-fader automation is maintained and scaled throughout.

MOTU Instruments soundbank – DP10 includes a 5 GB library of multi-sample acoustic instruments, synths, loops and phrases with over 300 different instruments, 1100 instrument presets and 500 loops. Included are acoustic and electronic drum kits, pianos, guitars and basses, along with church organs, electric organs, strings, brass, woodwinds, synths, ethnic instruments, choirs, voices, percussion, sound effects and more. This versatile collection of instruments spans musical genres, eras, geographical regions and cultural styles.

Scalable UI – Today's high-resolution computer displays have very small pixels, making things tiny and hard to see. In DP10, you can now simply press command-plus and command-minus (control-plus and control-minus on Windows) to scale DP's entire UI larger or smaller to achieve the perfect degree of clarity for your eye.

Streamlined Waveform Editor – DP10's Waveform Editor has been completely redesigned to provide a streamlined, all-in-one environment for down-to-the-sample waveform editing, precision beat editing, elastic audio stretching, pitch correction, embedded tempo map editing and more.

Run command – Gain instant access to any feature in Digital Performer by simply typing shift-spacebar to open the Run Command text bar. When you start typing, all features matching what you type instantly appear.

Programmable skip buttons — DP's main transports can now skip forward and backward by musical increments, such as one beat, or two bars, or four bars.

Region menu presets – Save and create presets for Region menu operations, so you can to recall commonly applied settings quickly and easily. Specific presets can be recalled with assigned keystrokes or with the new Run Command window.

Enhanced grid snapping – Choose relative or absolute grid snapping when dragging MIDI and audio. Alternately, Auto Grid Snap sets the grid resolution automatically so you don't have to think about it.

Alternate tool – To speed editing, DP now offers both a primary and alternate tool, which you can switch between using the 'x' key to edit more quickly in situations where you are rapidly changing between two different tools in the tool palette.

MIDI note display preferences – MIDI notes can be displayed with greater detail, including their MIDI note name, to quickly identify the pitch and on-velocity of each note at a glance.

CC data moves with quantized notes - When applying Quantize, Groove Quantize or Input Quantize, Digital Performer correctly adjusts accompanying controller data with their respective notes, to more accurately preserve the original performance.

Overdub recording replaces CC data - When overdub recording continuous controller data, any existing data is replaced to prevent data streams that conflict with each other.

Faster event list editing - The event list now has quick filter buttons right above the list, so you can quickly show and hide data types.

Faster tool editing - To speed editing, DP now offers both a primary and alternate tool, which you can switch between using the 'x' key. Edit more quickly when rapidly changing between two different tools in the tool palette.

Picture screenshot link below:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... Urlpnncszm
Last edited by rainmaker on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
richhickey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 10 - It's Here!

Post by richhickey »

Clips huh, not sure who was asking for that. But so much to like here. Only letdown for me is no articulation support.
dix

Post by dix »

Does it say when it's available anywhere? I can't find it.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

Also not seeing VCA support on motu.com
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

Sweet Baby Jesus, when does this come out! I am blown away!
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

richhickey wrote:Also not seeing VCA support on motu.com
I did.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
michkhol

Post by michkhol »

richhickey wrote:Clips huh, not sure who was asking for that. But so much to like here. Only letdown for me is no articulation support.
+1
The lack of articulation support is what made me move to Logic for my current project.
MacPro, 32 GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN8
macOS 13.6.3, DP 11.3
dix

Post by dix »

Yes, that's a huge deal! Weird. It's not mentioned in the What's New on MOTU's site, but it's listed in the press release that's popping up everywhere. https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/01/24/ ... former-10/

Also, mentioned is Digital Performer 10 will ship Q1, 2019! That's like now, ain't it?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

Saintmatthew wrote:
I did.
Where? I don't see it on any of the DP10 pages
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Personally this hit's 90% of my wish list so I'm happy!

I'm shocked by the Clips View but if it sounds good, and they've improved on what Live and Bitwig are doing I'm all for it!

VCA faders is a feature I'll use yesterday.

Same with absolute snap to grid, scalable GUI, MIDI note display, VST3 support etc. etc.

The only major thing I'm surprised didn't happen is MPE support, but that could be coming anyway.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Re: NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm holding onto a faint ray of hope that the scaleable GUI means more responsive graphics...
dix

Post by dix »

richhickey wrote:
Saintmatthew wrote:
I did.
Where? I don't see it on any of the DP10 pages
It’s in the press release. See my post above. It might have been a late entry that didn’t make it to the website builder.

There could be more coming. MOTU will often not include features (sometimes significant ones) in the initial what’s-new info that may not make the final until it ships. All complaints about what MOTU missed should be held until DP10 ships I think. ...for now let’s celebrate all the incredibly great stuff that is in it.
thracks

Post by thracks »

richhickey wrote:Clips huh, not sure who was asking for that. But so much to like here. Only letdown for me is no articulation support.
I was :) Not specifically clips, but a better way to piece together compositions spontaneously from musical ideas. The song window is not good for this and hasn't been for years. I love this feature and can't wait to try it!
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
billf

Re: NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Post by billf »

There are several new videos on the MOTU channel regarding DP10:

https://www.youtube.com/user/motuTV/videos
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

dix wrote:All complaints about what MOTU missed should be held until DP10 ships I think. ...for now let’s celebrate all the incredibly great stuff that is in it.
No complaints here, just clarifying. Agreed totally, this much new development is a great sign for DP and those of use who love it.