Changing Layouts in DP9.5

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Changing Layouts in DP9.5

Post by jsg »

Changing Layouts in DP is very slow. I haven't found a way to speed it up. During playback it can take 5 or more seconds to switch screens. I have a fast DAW, 16 GB of memory, i7 chip and the machine is dedicated to music production only.

Has anybody figured out a way to speed up layout switching? Would a faster graphics card or more graphic memory help, or is it that the software is written in such a way that it's not possible to speed it up?

Thanks,
Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Changing Layouts in DP9.5

Post by bayswater »

From questions I sent to MOTU support, I concluded that a graphics accelerator or memory will not improve the situation. Keeping your screensets simple and changing them when playback is stopped might be only workaround for now.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

If you are booting to an HDD or Fusion drive, switching to a large SSD will speed up the process.

With multiple monitors, multiple screens is not an issue.

Certain plugins, when the GUI is visible, can really slow down screen redraw and the ability to switch.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by jsg »

mikehalloran wrote:If you are booting to an HDD or Fusion drive, switching to a large SSD will speed up the process.

With multiple monitors, multiple screens is not an issue.

Certain plugins, when the GUI is visible, can really slow down screen redraw and the ability to switch.
I've got two fast SSD drives in the DAW, so that's not the issue. I think it has to do more with how DP is written, and how it addresses memory. I love the program, but I do wish the layouts and window set switching were instantaneous.