Replace "parent" audio file - update all "child" soundbites?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kestudi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Replace "parent" audio file - update all "child" soundbites?

Post by kestudi »

Hi -
I'm working on a podcast episode, and I am using a watermarked music track for demonstration purposes.

Now that the music has been approved, I need to replace the watermarked audio with a clean copy. I've done lots of edits - looped sections, etc - and so there are many "child" soundbites that use the watermarked source.

Is there a way to replace the "parent" file and update all soundbite references so that all of my edits stay in place and just use the new audio file?

The only way I've come up with is to:
1) Trash the analysis file of the watermarked audio
2) Trash the watermarked audio from the audio files folder, put the "clean" copy into the audio files folder, and rename it so it has the exact same name as the old watermarked audio
3) Reload the project.

Surely there is a more elegant way?

Thanks!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Replace "parent" audio file - update all "child" soundbi

Post by stubbsonic »

How would you feel about just merging the soundbites? You'd have a "committed version" with all fades/crossfades rendered into the finished track.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
kestudi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by kestudi »

stubbsonic wrote:How would you feel about just merging the soundbites? You'd have a "committed version" with all fades/crossfades rendered into the finished track.
? I'm not sure you understood my question? I need to replace a watermarked song with an unwatermarked song, and have DP update all the references to that file throughout my session.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

This is a confusing situation that begs all sorts of questions, but I'll hit the main points.

1 - Why is the production music "watermarked?" Is it your music or was it provided to you by some else?

2 - If it is your music, why didn't you put the "watermark" (whatever that means) on a separate track? This assumes you added the WM so that your work would not be used until the project is finished. I've never been that paranoid about protecting my music from misuse.

3 - If it is not your music and was supplied by a second party, why did they give you a watermarked recording? For me, that is a sign of mistrust on the part of the collaborator/client. If you get fairly deep into production and the client hasn't provided a clean copy to work with, then they have to absorb the cost of redoing the project. Personally, I would have refused to start work until a clean production copy was delivered to me.

So to recap, my main issues are:

Who's music is it?
Why is it WM?
Why did you use WM music for production?
WTF does WM mean in this context?
What exactly is the WM in question: A beep even 10 seconds? Poor quality?

But to your initial question, I suspect your only "easy" out is to try and replace the WM file with the clean one and see if DP will rebuild the segments in question. But if you've done bounces, created new soundbites, froze tracks, etc., I'm guessing there is no easy way out.

If you do have to rebuild the file you might want to take a screenshot of the Soundbites window with the USER and ORIGINAL timestamps displayed. If it's a large project, you might need several screenshots. AT least then you'll know where you made your cuts. That is assuming, of course, that the WM and clean copies are otherwise IDENTICAL.

Frankly, I don't like this watermarking bullsh••. People get too damn paranoid about this stuff. Besides, there's a lot of money to be made in defending infringed copyrights. Sometimes much more than the music itself is worth. lol

Seriously, WTF is the "watermark" and why was it there in the first place?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you get fairly deep into production and the client hasn't provided a clean copy to work with, then they have to absorb the cost of redoing the project.
Is there really any other issue?

I sometimes have to deal with corrupted audio file headers from other studios. DP hates those but I never know it going in. Only when/if DP misbehaves will I do the detective work. Cleanup is easy but the time it takes to figure out the problem needs to be charged—and I do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

When I edit a soundbite, DP makes a copy with a modified name. I doubt there's a way to automatically swap them all. I'd make your sequence window nice and big and scroll through and watch for the name of the bit that needs replacing, and add the new version instead of the old version.

And I suppose you could try quitting DP, deleting all of the watermarked files from the Audio folder, then restart the project and when it complains about the missing files, point it to the new file. But I have no idea if they'll be edited correctly...
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
MIDI Life Crisis

RodneySauer wrote:When I edit a soundbite, DP makes a copy with a modified name. I doubt there's a way to automatically swap them all. I'd make your sequence window nice and big and scroll through and watch for the name of the bit that needs replacing, and add the new version instead of the old version.

And I suppose you could try quitting DP, deleting all of the watermarked files from the Audio folder, then restart the project and when it complains about the missing files, point it to the new file. But I have no idea if they'll be edited correctly...
It's be a lot of fun to try! lol :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I’m curious as to what works but not enough to invest the time.

Sitting in my armchair with a bowl of popcorn. Waiting to see what happens in the 3rd act.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Doris gets her oats.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I wonder if, within DP, you could try pasting the unwatermarked audio in the waveform editor (i.e., select all, paste). I wonder if the "children" would still point to the same parts of the parent.

Of course you'd probably want to work on a copy rather than the original project.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

kestudi wrote:Hi -
I'm working on a podcast episode, and I am using a watermarked music track for demonstration purposes.
Read: Not his music; he's done the right thing.
kestudi wrote:Now that the music has been approved, I need to replace the watermarked audio with a clean copy.
Again, done the right thing and seeks a more-elegant method of replacing the original, lesser-quality file than the one he came up with.

Note:
His method worked; he was simply hoping for something involving less steps.

Why am I bothering?
At the risk of sounding like a shrinking violet, it'd be proper to address the question rather than impose what feels kinda like some sort of bullying on the guy... assuming he's a guy.

EDIT:
I feel bad now! LOL Telling anyone what to do isn't something I do; I'm an asker, and a rare one at that.

Ignore this post if you like; guess I'm havin' a bad day.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

No bullying here. I'm simply telling it as it is. If you're expected to pro work, you expect to be trusted. If that's lacking I say forget the gig. Period.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I hear you, Magilla.

I understand the OP's POV 'though; it's background music he's probably sourced from a library and has had to wait for usage-licence approval.

It's nevertheless by-and-by; his question about replacing the "source" soundbite could be relevant to other scenarios I can think of, and IMHO the solution he found isn't a bad one. A bit-clumsy, yeah, but it worked, so I learned something that could prove useful at some point.

Sorry if I went a little OTT, bud. :oops:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Addressing the original question- I too have many occasions to replace a file with an edited version (in my case, doing some processing in RX7 that I probably should have done before importing the file in the first place) and I have found that:

1. The OP's method usually does work; and
2. I have not found a better method.

Side note: If I get lazy and don't bother to delete the anlysis file, about half the time the replaced soundbyte will be loud white noise. When that happens, close the file, delete the analysis file and reload the project.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.