Cue Sheet Generation

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Helen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cue Sheet Generation

Post by Helen »

Hey folks, I know it's not really a film composer's job, but I have found that if I generate a cue sheet and give it to my director/producer, then I stand a much better chance of getting it submitted to my PRO. (BMI, in my case.) Also, being old fashioned, I like to have one for my mix engineer.

I have been trying to figure out a way to use DP's Soundbites list to generate my Cue Sheet, but really haven't had much luck. Does anyone here have a suggestion? Is there some alternate software out there that might help? I have Googled to no avail. I can do some of the work as I score, 'cause keeping a list of what my director wants can easily be morphed into a cue sheet. But it sure would be a time saver to have a software solution.

Thanks,
-Helen
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
Rick Cornish

Re: Cue Sheet Generation

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey, Helen.....
Unless I don’t understand what you’re looking for, I don’t think you’ll find it in the Soundbites window.

I generate my cue sheets from the Markers window. My template is set up with a 2-bip at timecode 00:59:58:00, then the sequence starts at 01:00:00:00 (then I offset the time code to match picture). I drop markers at the bip, sequence start, and every other hit or timing event on the cue that I’ve noted from my spotting session with the director. Using the Time Formats menu selection, I set up the Markers window to read out both TC and bars/beats/ticks. Then I just print a PDF of the Markers window and send it along with my track. No complaints from an editor yet!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Cue sheets are critical in getting paid accurately and I’d never try to “automate” the process. I go through every cue manually and give them simple but unique names that don’t necessarily relate to the names in DP project names or, more frequently, Finale files or section names. Of course, they always refer to the scene or segment in question. Also BMI. Jan 18 can’t come soon enough.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

Then I just print a PDF of the Markers window and send it along with my track.
:o Wow. I didn't realize you could print PDFs of certain windows in DP. That's a great tip!

With that in mind, another way to create a cue sheet, of sorts, would be to drag all the mixes from the film into a new project and print the, also printable, Soundbites window, which can include the file/track name, start time and duration (and nothing else if you so set it in the Soundbites List Column Setup).

...One problem with doing the cue sheets yourself is that sometimes cues get dropped or altered when they mix the film. It's best to let the production create the cue sheet for the PRO if possible.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Cue sheets are critical in getting paid accurately and I’d never try to “automate” the process. I go through every cue manually and give them simple but unique names that don’t necessarily relate to the names in DP project names or, more frequently, Finale files or section names. Of course, they always refer to the scene or segment in question. Also BMI. Jan 18 can’t come soon enough.
Jan 18th?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
dix

Post by dix »

Jan 18: BMI broadcast royalty distribution date.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com