Repairing Severe Clipping

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
leigh
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Repairing Severe Clipping

Post by leigh »

I'm mixing a live concert where there was no time for a sound check. The drum OH track clipped on the start of the first piece:

MP3: http://minormodemusic.com/misc/2-DrOH.mp3

I have RX 6 Advanced and would appreciate suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
stubbsonic

Re: Repairing Severe Clipping

Post by stubbsonic »

I'd just cut & paste a couple different ride cymbals from a couple beats later.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Doesn't RX have a de-clip plugin? I'd play with that and see what it's made of for starters. Also, some creative automation of level and EQ at the hits might give you a sound that's forgiving. Stubb's solution may be your best bet but getting it to sound seamless might be an issue, because of the bleed I'm hearing from other instruments. Only way to know is try it. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Declip does not perform miracles but I would give it a try as well as Spectral Repair.

You might send a few seconds to Izotope to see if they can be more specific.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Declip does not perform miracles but I would give it a try as well as Spectral Repair.

You might send a few seconds to Izotope to see if they can be more specific.
I have some lite version of RX I got free or cheap because I had some other of their products. I applied a Declip to a live recording with a lot of overloads, and I'd say the result was a miracle. I don't know how it figured out what to replace a long series of "1's" with but it made a pretty good guess.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Firstly, I would try riding out the clip using trim automation to smooth it out

Sure the clip will still be there, but can you actually hear it? Modern day converters can be quite forgiving

If not then you're done.

Second, try pasting other rides over but I would apply a hp filter to the pasted rides to avoid any 'nasties' from the low frequency bleed from other instruments.

On my monitors (which are pretty tasty) it doesn't sound that nasty here i.e. I think you may get away with the first option.

Cheers

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
leigh

Post by leigh »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The clipping was too severe for RX to fix. I ended up cutting out the offending few seconds of the drum track and replacing it with a corresponding section cut from the voice track with some compression to bring it up enough. I put the clip on a second track. It's a busy enough piece that all this worked well enough.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics