Non-standard Frame Rates in DP

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
leigh
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Non-standard Frame Rates in DP

Post by leigh »

I downloaded an MP4 video from archive.org and the audio gradually goes out of sync. I'm trying to fix it in DP and I have almost no experience with video.

The original MP4 is 320x240 resolution, codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1), frame rate (QT Player): 29.94, audio is 48KHz MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a).

In DP the sample rate is 48Khz. I have extracted the video's audio into a separate audio track.

Eyeballing it, at 30 minutes the audio hit is at 0:30:22:20 and the video hit is at 0:30:24:09. at 1:26 the audio hit is at 1:26:09:10 and the video hit is at 1:26:14:07.

It seems like the audio and video are at two different frame rates (I don't know if audio has a 'frame rate'). DP offers only 3 unchangeable "non-standard" frame rates.

Is there a way, either in DP or FCP X to fix this or am I just out of luck? I have virtually no experience with FCP X.

Thanks.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Non-standard Frame Rates in DP

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I’d try reexportig the video from QuickTime or other app (iSkysoft, for example) as a new self contained movie with matching frame rates. If you’re working with a video editor, have them give you a sane file.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't know video either; MLC probably has the right answer. But I might try just time stretching the audio. If you grab the soundbite at the upper left or right corner you can drag that to where it "should" be on the time line according to the video, and DP will adjust it. For such a small stretch, the effect on sound quality should be undetectable.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bayswater wrote:I don't know video either; MLC probably has the right answer. But I might try just time stretching the audio. If you grab the soundbite at the upper left or right corner you can drag that to where it "should" be on the time line according to the video, and DP will adjust it. For such a small stretch, the effect on sound quality should be undetectable.
If you want truly precise sync to sound and picture, the frame rates should match. Stretching should work ok, but it really is more of a spit and glue approach to what should be easily remedied by creating a "proper" file.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS