Getting started tutorial

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Demious
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Getting started tutorial

Post by Demious »

Im trying the DP demo, Im completely new to DP and Im looking for a 'getting started' tutorial. I already looked on youtube and in the tutorial video section, but all I find are detailed tutorials for specific functions and what Im looking for is a guide about where to find everything, how basic functions work, what basic shortcuts are, that sort of things.
Ive been trying to select a channel on the mixer and after several hours I still cant find how to do it, to give an example. Im used, from Logic and Mixbus, to just click on the channel, but that doesnt seem to do anything. And connected to that, I found how to add a channel at the far right end of the mixer, but I cant find how to insert a channel in between exsisting channels...
All those basic things to get going with the basic structure and from there on, Ive seen plenty of detailed videos of specific functions to get deeper into those subjects, but I need something to get started.

Cheers!
Maarten
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Getting started tutorial

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You seek the user manual. Yes!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Demious

Post by Demious »

Im sorry, I see that I only specified video in the second sentence, in the first sentense it should have said 'video tutorial', it happens quite often Im missing words when I write. My appoligies for the confusion.
Ive got dysliexia, so a written tutorial wont do me much good, Im afraid.

Ive got ADHD and autism, with the emphasis on the AD... When I read every word can start a new train of thought and by the end of the first sentence my focus is on 5 other thoughts then the words my eyes are reading, a very nasty deficiency. You could think of my thoughtprocess as a multitrack, with my attention jumping around from track to track. I need more then one track to be on the right subject to keep enough of my attention focussed on it. Audible and visual stimuli together mostly works good enough and watching a video multiple times should do.

Im sorry for the error and non the less, thanks for the input, guys. :)

Cheers!
Maarten
leigh

Post by leigh »

Eli Krantzberg's DP videos at http://groove3.com are very helpful.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Basic shortcuts: go to the COMMANDS window. Enter the feature you want in the Search box. You can also print the entire list. It’s probably around 30 pages but lists most features. Basically that’s where you assign key commands, however it’s also a great reference tool and not heavy on words.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The short videos that are installed on your drive by the DP installer are about as basic as it gets.

If you google "digital performer getting started" or "digital performer first recording", you'll find more of the same, e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7JNeXRZTP0

Eli's videos on Groove3 are great, although they cover DP 8. Just about everything in them still applies, but you'll have to follow up with other videos on things new in version 9.

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Digit ... -Explained
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
Eli's videos on Groove3 are great, although they cover DP 8. Just about everything in them still applies, but you'll have to follow up with other videos on things new in version 9.

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Digit ... -Explained
This one is about some of the new features in DP9...
https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Top-1 ... erformer-9
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Demious

Post by Demious »

Thanks a lot, guys!