Need Help with video process (extracting audio)

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Kenny B
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Need Help with video process (extracting audio)

Post by Kenny B »

I'm shooting a few videos of myself using a Sony mirrorless camera and want to edit the audio in Digital Performer, then replace the original audio with the enhanced one. I only have iMovie to work with. I tried this yesterday and was not able to extract the audio in iMovie (But I could detach?).

Then I tried to extract audio in DP but was not able to do so there. I know this is probably possible in Final Cut Pro, but I don't want to buy that and go thru the learning curve if not necessary.

Not going to be doing a major video production, just some solo guitar videos for Youtube. If anyone can put me on the right track quickly, it could really help save time. thanks, Kenny
2023 Apple Mac Mini Pro M2; 12 Core, 32 GB Unified RAM, Mac OS Venura 13.6.1, 1 TB SSD boot, DP ver. 11.3, Apogee Symphony II 8x8, Axiom 61 Controller, MachFive2, FabFilter plugins, ReLab VSRn24 reverb. Some really great acoustic guitars, Schoeps MK4s, Charter Oak E700 mic, 2 Great River preamps
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Need Help with video process (extracting audio)

Post by stubbsonic »

There are many others more qualified to answer here. My first thought is that sometimes those cameras choose unusual audio formats that are not available for conversion in consumer video editing programs.

If you really get stuck, you can try an app like Audio Hijack which allows you to record the audio output of any application. So you could get the audio out to a separate file as long as you can playback and hear the audio from at least one application.

A free option you can also try is VLC which sometimes allows me to extract audio from an unusual video format.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Kenny B wrote:...I tried to extract audio in DP but was not able to do so there...
I assume Import Movie Audio is grayed out, yes? But can you hear the audio in DP? If so, simply play it through and record it to another track.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I just use iMovie there's a Detach Audio function.
then replace it with your new audio.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

My standard rec: FFMpeg

Yes, it's a bit of bear to learn it in-and-out, but many routine commands like the one you need can be cut-and-pasted from websites like this one: https://amiaopensource.github.io/ffmprovisr/

With a little patience, it'll do all sorts of useful things, and it'll encode/decode to just about any combination you'll run across.

Price: free
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Despite the efforts of Google & Apple to clamp down on these, there are plenty of shareware and freeware utilities that can help.

Google's issue is that, if you can do it with your own videos, you can do it to YouTube.

I never use iMovie preferring Final Cut Pro X for this. You can certainly do this in FCP and even call for Apple Support if you get stuck (yes, really). Motion 5 and Compressor 4 also come in handy if doing video on a Mac.

If you have access to a college student or can buy through an EDU account, you can get Apple's Pro Apps Bundle (Logic Pro X, Final Cut Pro X, Main Stage 3, Motion 5 and Compressor 4) for $199.99.
https://www.apple.com/us_edu_11197/shop ... -education

After completing the purchase, you will be emailed 5 codes. Log into your iTunes account and enter the codes one at a time. This registers the licenses to you and begins the downloads. In my case, I already owned two of the apps — Apple told me it was ok to email the 2 unused codes to anyone I chose.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

WAIT! While the suggestions are all good (or at least interesting) you can delete the audio from a film in DP. Use the IMPRT MOVIE AUDIO then mute or delete the audio from the project. BOUNCE the movie to a movie file and use that, but you should be able to just use the project you just deleted the movie from. The regional file will not change. You have to bounce to disk to get a silent version. Again, all you need to do is mute or import then mute or delete the movie track. I do it quite often.

So again, for all those with a hammer looking to drive this guys nail (so to speak...) he only needs a tweezer and it's already in DP.

As far as further formatting of movie issues, iSkysoft's convertor is well worth the $60. For serious editing, I agree with Mike that FCP is the way to go. The linked editor does basic cuts but not titles and effects, etc.

One friendly suggestion...

:rtfm:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Kenny B
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Kenny B »

Okay, thanks for all the help and suggestions, but I did find a way to strip the audio from iMovie. There is a iMovie Tutorial on how to do this. It is so simple but I have to share with everyone here in case anyone else asks this.

Just go to the Share menu and select file (which is used to send video to your desktop) but also you can send just the audio to your desktop and in many different formats. I choose aiff and in just a minute it was there.

Then I dropped that into the soundbytes window and placed into a stereo track for editing. One thing, it came in at 48000 khz so I changed my sample rate and was able to edit. Then just bounced to disk, imported back into iMovie and it worked perfectly!! Wow!! didn't think it would be this easy but I'm glad it worked and I can go on to other things I need to do for this project. Link to tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlnXBcDUjeg
2023 Apple Mac Mini Pro M2; 12 Core, 32 GB Unified RAM, Mac OS Venura 13.6.1, 1 TB SSD boot, DP ver. 11.3, Apogee Symphony II 8x8, Axiom 61 Controller, MachFive2, FabFilter plugins, ReLab VSRn24 reverb. Some really great acoustic guitars, Schoeps MK4s, Charter Oak E700 mic, 2 Great River preamps