Computer not recognizing external SSD

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Tobor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Computer not recognizing external SSD

Post by Tobor »

Yikes, hope someone can help.

I unhooked my external OWC SSD vi drive last night, after dismounting it from the desktop, to use with my laptop this morning. I was busy plugging in my little keyboard and plugging the drive in to the laptop this morning as it was booting up, hope I didn't plug it in at the wrong time, but after spending some time blinking, the SSD was not recognized by the laptop (2016 HS), even after restarts, hooking and unhooking, different USB port etc.

Now returning home and plugging the SSD into my iMac I'm getting the same thing, SSD is not recognized. I seem to have confused it somehow.

Is there a way to re-establish contact with the SSD? The light is lit so the cord is good....
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
mikehalloran

Re: Computer not recognizing external SSD

Post by mikehalloran »

If it shows up in Disk Utility, that’s yout best bet.

Does this drive have an OS installer?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Re: Computer not recognizing external SSD

Post by Tobor »

No, it doesn't have an installer. It's an OWC Envoy Pro 1T, which has worked great until now. It may be that I ejected the drive just before DP finished booting down, and is now eternally confused.

At any rate after calling support at OWC I tried Disk Utility and Internet Recovery to no avail. Support told me the drive was still under warranty and will replace it, so really really happy with OWC here.

Fortunately I was using the drive solely for VIs and remember most of what was on the drive (I was in the process of evaluating what was on what drive for possible swaps), and of course Kontakt in DP tells me what library samples are now missing in Kontakt. Pretty sure I have backups for everything so nothing lost except for time, fingers crossed.

Thanks Mike!

P.S. As a perhaps interesting conundrum, under 'System Report' in About This Mac, the Envoy is recognized as plugged in via USB to my OWC Thunderbolt Dock. There just doesn't seem to be any way to communicate with it. I will pledge to exercise more patience when booting down or booting up before unplugging devices in the future.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.