The "new free" Cakewalk.. It must be a bad joke. [RESOLVED]

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The "new free" Cakewalk.. It must be a bad joke. [RESOLVED]

Post by FMiguelez »

Yes, this will be a rant because I'm really pissed off.

So, after wasting almost 10 hours of my time trying to install this stupid program in a horrible laptop PC with Windoze 10, I finally see that the "free" Cakewalk will NOT let me save because it's in "demo mode".
REALLY? A "new" free app with a demo mode that won't let you save? This must be the stupidest thing I've encountered in a looooooong time!

I'm beyond angry. Not only because of the wasted time, but all the spent effort for nothing. Installing/Reinstalling a million times, problems with some C framework I had to download from Microsoft, an installer programmed by monkeys, a HORRIBLE OS like Windoze 10 (really, I had no idea Windows 10 GUI was so terrible and annoying), and a ridiculously slow computer... You know, those that need 40 seconds to react to opening folders or search for stuff.
Naturally, I felt like I had never used a computer before. I couldn't figure out the most basic things (like finding out what Windows version was installed, figuring out the windows folder structure, etc. I used Windows computers some years ago, but the UI changed so much (in a bad way) that it must be the most unintuitive thing around.

I've been looking in the internet for a solution, but if there's one, I'll need to spend many more hours reading up on the non-ending instructions on how to fix this idiotic problem. I've found some forum sites where, after 3-4 pages, there are hundreds of users stuck like me, with no solution in sight.

REALLY? A "free" POS program that runs in demo mode that won't let me save????? What the hell were they thinking????

The ONLY reason I went through all this crap was to be able to SAVE as standard MIDI files some old .wrk files I have. I need them for a new production I will make, but it seems I won't be able to that. I was looking forward to save time by not re-programming some of the MIDI stuff... but no. I can't because this idiotic program won't let me save anything. Brilliant! What a nice surprise!

No wonder they went out of business! Did I say I HATE it? :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Oh, and I thought I could try installing from my ancient original CD with some old Cakewalk version, but of course, the CD is unreadable by now. None of my computers will read it.

The only reason the PC is still alive is because I borrowed it from someone. Otherwise, it would be decomposed into little pieces after smashing it in the floor by now.

[/Rant]
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Re: The "new free" Cakewalk.. It must be a bad joke. Ridicul

Post by stubbsonic »

Perhaps it was in the fine print.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

I can see how that would be frustrating, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to be working.

I haven't installed the new free version, but used Platinum for several years. I recall that some users did have activation troubles and/or would revert to demo mode after an upgrade. I wish I could tell you how they solved it, but it never happened to me.

The old pre-Bandlab-era forum is still alive and well, and the folks there are very helpful.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Forums
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Is this the Lite version that is often included with hardware (such as Zoom recorders)? That is normally free but there are many points during the install process where they try to get you into a paid version. It’s easy to miss that it can be used at no charge with the limited functionality of the “free” version.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Could you use another program besides Cakewalk? Just thinking out loud...

https://musescore.org/en/node/79376

https://www.cakewalk.com/products/SONAR/
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

stubbsonic wrote:Perhaps it was in the fine print.
If it was, I never saw it.

I just don't understand what's the point of having a crippled demo period for a supposedly free app.
I'd understand if it was like Finale> It won't let you save either, but AFTER the (generous) grace period, not during it :?
mesayre wrote:I can see how that would be frustrating, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to be working.
The old pre-Bandlab-era forum is still alive and well, and the folks there are very helpful.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Forums
Thank you for that. I will check it out tonight. Hopefully I'll find a decent way to fix this.
mikehalloran wrote:Is this the Lite version that is often included with hardware (such as Zoom recorders)? That is normally free but there are many points during the install process where they try to get you into a paid version. It’s easy to miss that it can be used at no charge with the limited functionality of the “free” version.
No, it's supposed to be the full version.

After I heard about this, I Googled it, and I got a lot of suspicious sites like that in Spanish. You know, the iffy fishy kind of sites we all despise. But then I used the official method and instructions from BandLab's site (the new owners).
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Could you use another program besides Cakewalk? Just thinking out loud...

https://musescore.org/en/node/79376

https://www.cakewalk.com/products/SONAR/
I just scanned the links, and they look useful. Thank you, Mike. I'll check them out tonight.
The thing is that the .wrk files are proprietary from Cakewalk (which then turned into Sonar, and now it's called Cakewalk again). So in theory, either Cakewalk or Sonar should be able to load the file, and let me save it as a Standard MIDI file, so I can open it in DP.

Since this is the DAW I used to work with before DP, I must have at least 400 hundred pieces in that format. And they have all expired their broadcasting contract, so I can re-produce and re-record them with modern VIs, and use/exploit my old music again :)

I'll hate myself if I read some of this "saving warning" somewhere now that I'm calmed and relaxed. But I am almost positive there isn't any such thing anywhere...
Right now I'm looking at the PC laptop next to me, but I kind of dread opening it again...
:(
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
yjoh

Post by yjoh »

These extracts from 2 posts I put on at the Northern sounds forum back in April may be helpful.

1. "You don't need to be online to use Sonar. I downloaded it and it runs on my music computer which only ever goes online to register new libraries or update something. I've put a link to Bandlabs FAQ page which should help you. The 3rd paragraph down says you don't need to be online as well.

When I downloaded Sonar, I used the Early Access button and the Bandlab Assistant did it all, no problems at all. I used my google account to sign in as I don't do Facebook etc. If you have a gmail account you should have a google login you could use. Otherwise maybe you could just sign up for a Bandlab account and use the login for that.

I hope you can get it down, it's light years ahead of my old Sonar LE version I got free years ago. I use DP but Sonar Platinum sure looks good as well".

Here's the link, good luck!

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-announcement-faq

2. "I've done some research for you and I think they are talking about their own DAW which you do have to be online to use.

The Cakewalk Sonar Platinum DAW is separate from theirs and once installed you just use it offline like always. If you read the 3rd and 4th paragraphs down in the link I posted, and click where is says get the Bandlab Assistant here, you should be okay.

It says further down that you need an account to sign into the assistant which allows you to download and authorize Cakewalk Sonar but after that you should be good to go".

You can read the full post here if you like.

http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthr ... post820165

All the best and good luck, hope it helps!
toddbooster

Post by toddbooster »

Hey, sorry to see you're having such a frustrating time, but I can assure you that in my own experience, Cakewalk by Bandlab installs in Win 10 as easily as you like and runs just fine.

The crucial thing is to make certain that you're signed into your Bandlab account through the Bandlab assistant program, and that you only run the installation from there.

Here's a couple of links from the old Cakewalk forums saying essentially the same thing:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-by-B ... 44904.aspx

http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-to-get-ou ... 44810.aspx

Hope that helps.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Don't think this is a DP issue. Probably better in Off Topic.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

C’mon man, it’s a windows issue.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Seems like a Cakewalk issue - but hey - its no problem, just a bit strange to read about other rival software problems here. Lucky its not Reaper I suppose!
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
FMiguelez

Re: The "new free" Cakewalk.. It must be a bad joke. [RESOLV

Post by FMiguelez »

I'm VERY pleased to say that, thanks to all the links you guys posted, they finally led me to find a solution, and I'm up and running Cakewalk being able to save as Standard MIDI file!!

The ones I needed urgently were converted and are now happy in my DP projects, and they run in my hardware synths like I remembered them.

:woohoo:

I'm not sure what exactly it was that made it work, but it was a combination of>
- Taking a DEEP breath...
- Clean wiping anything related to the previous Cakewalk/BandLab app
- Created a new user account with Admin privileges
- Reinstalled everything
- Download from Microsoft some C Framework it keeps asking (even though I've downloaded it twice, and it always wants it from the site)
- Ran the installer from within BandLab

... and finally, after giving me dozens of worrying warnings (it couldn't find VSTs, error with some audio drivers, blah, blah), it opened up, and now I can do my MIDI conversions. I don't care about the rest. I'm just glad it opens and saves :)

Thank you guys! This will save me SO MUCH time!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Don't think this is a DP issue. Probably better in Off Topic.
That’s a good point. Moving it to General Recording.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
yjoh

Post by yjoh »

Glad it's all working now, great news! :D