Who Hacked the EU Copyright Directive Deliberations?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

https://thetrichordist.com/2018/07/28/t ... ssion=true
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Who Hacked the EU Copyright Directive Deliberations?

Post by James Steele »

Very interesting. I skimmed the article. I have to put out a warning though right now as moderator that I'll keep an eye on this thread regarding politics as the article referenced goes beyond music business issues and delves into the political system, but not just in the context of issues that are relating to music, but other issues as well.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

James Steele wrote:Very interesting. I skimmed the article. I have to put out a warning though right now as moderator that I'll keep an eye on this thread regarding politics as the article referenced goes beyond music business issues and delves into the political system, but not just in the context of issues that are relating to music, but other issues as well.
I was thinking the same thing, but as it relates to music income of the composer members, I passed on whipping po' Mike for posting it. Those ASCAP guys are trouble, I tells ya. Trouble! :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Laugh it up, BMI Boy! :koolaid:
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Laugh it up, BMI Boy! :koolaid:
Okay... I'm going to ask a stupid questions, but I have a friend who is a musician in San Diego who has a number of CD releases, etc. He's a BMI member. He was telling me that when he goes out and plays gigs, BMI now has some sort of form you can fill online I guess and report that you played those songs (covered by BMI) in that club and that date and he actually gets some royalties every quarter for playing his own songs at clubs. He says it's actually incentivized him a little bit to play his own music whenever he can now. It's not a LOT of money, but it's a nice little extra every three months that is really passive income in addition to his gigs. I wonder if there's some sort of similar capability with ASCAP (which is what I belong to)?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

BMI has had that since 2012.

ASCAP has been doing this since the 1960s. Currently, we have two such programs. On Stage is where members normally report performances. The Plus Awards allows members to report certain events that normally don't show up in surveys.
https://www.ascap.com/news-events/artic ... rds-update

I can’t talk about my work other than mention that I contributed to the modernization of these programs a few years ago.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks, Mike. That’s very valuable info for me now that I may be out performing again.