Rogue Amoeba's Loopback worth the price?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Rogue Amoeba's Loopback worth the price?

Post by cuttime »

rentadrummer wrote:
cuttime wrote:Am I the only one who uses the MOTU FW interface option in CueMix-File>Mix 1 Return Includes Computer Output? Totally reliable for me. Does Loopback do anything else?
Does this work for recording audio playing in Safari to DP, and if so, can you explain the internal routing? I was trying to do this a few weeks ago and gave up, thinking I would need something like Loopback. I have Mix 1 Return Includes Computer Output enabled but I'm not sure how that helps.

Thanks.
I just tried it and it works with my Traveler 1st Gen. In the DP TO window I selected the Track Input after adding the Mix 1 and 2 returns to bundles.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

cuttime wrote:
rentadrummer wrote:
cuttime wrote:Am I the only one who uses the MOTU FW interface option in CueMix-File>Mix 1 Return Includes Computer Output? Totally reliable for me. Does Loopback do anything else?
Does this work for recording audio playing in Safari to DP, and if so, can you explain the internal routing? I was trying to do this a few weeks ago and gave up, thinking I would need something like Loopback. I have Mix 1 Return Includes Computer Output enabled but I'm not sure how that helps.

Thanks.
I just tried it and it works with my Traveler 1st Gen. In the DP TO window I selected the Track Input after adding the Mix 1 and 2 returns to bundles.
This is great, and I was able to get it working. I can't thank you enough.

I start all of my projects with the same template, and it's been so long since I've even looked at the Bundles window that I forgot that I need to add Mix 1 and 2 to the Inputs. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see them as an option in the Tracks Window, and now I know.

I'm using an 828mkII, and the only thing I've noticed is that when I'm playing back the track I recorded and hit Stop, I get a buzzing sound until I disengage playback for the track. When I activate it again, there's no buzz until the next time I hit Stop. I'm not sure what's causing it unless I've created some type of loop, or why the buzzing doesn't start as soon Playback is activated. Not a big deal, as long as I don't blow up anything.
Ron
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

rentadrummer wrote: I'm using an 828mkII, and the only thing I've noticed is that when I'm playing back the track I recorded and hit Stop, I get a buzzing sound until I disengage playback for the track. When I activate it again, there's no buzz until the next time I hit Stop. I'm not sure what's causing it unless I've created some type of loop, or why the buzzing doesn't start as soon Playback is activated. Not a big deal, as long as I don't blow up anything.
Good deal. Glad you got it to work, but yes, be careful, as you can create some fearsome feedback loops this way.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
squeeb

Post by squeeb »

It does annoy me that this one utility is more than half the price of Logic Pro X...

Definitely overpriced if you ask me.

Especially when it's clearly a reskinned soundflower.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Now that i've been using LoopBack for 10 months of quarantine. I'm going to say it was money well spent.

Having used SoundFlower before that, I'm very happy with how LoopBack works.

In the early months, it would occasionally glitch: go silent, or have garbled sound. I'd quit & restart the app and it was fine. Whatever issue that was was fixed in a subsequent release.

In hindsight, with my RME interface and its excellent TotalMix software, along with AudioMIDI Setup's aggregate device feature, I could have accomplished what I needed.

But I find that with Rogue Amoeba's Loopback and Audio Hijack it's quick and easy to route things around without any hassles. The GUI is also very nice.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com