Waves v10 Update

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves v10 Update

Post by waxman »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Thanks for the help - I will proceed with caution!
Don't update to V10 without WUP... you are probably good on 9 for a couple more years...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

By the way... this is good only for today...

RSPE is selling Gold Bundle for $129 on 6/21 only. It may be a good way to get foot in the door if WUP expired and put v10 plugs on your system. They can coexist with v 9.

https://www.rspeaudio.com/Waves-Gold-Bu ... bundle.htm
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waxman wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote:Thanks for the help - I will proceed with caution!
Don't update to V10 without WUP... you are probably good on 9 for a couple more years...
Yep. I didn't want to try and relate my whole experience with the v10 update on my system, but here are a few important things I found. Some may already know this.

Version 10 plugs can co-exist right alongside the Version 9 plugs... you just can't have both available simultaneously.

What I did was log into waves.com and look at my products and made a list of which products were still covered by WUP. Then, either on same or different page I had to click a link to upgrade just those to v10 because it was free (covered under WUP) and this would put a license for version 10 on the Waves license cloud.

I can't remember if I uninstalled the v9 version of ONLY PLUGS I HAD V10 licenses for first, or ran the Version 10 installer making sure to "Activate and Install" ONLY the individual plugs I had Version 10 licenses for. I did this one at a time just because I was leery having gone through some issues.

I apologize if this isn't that helpful. I really don't want to go through all that again just to write up the instructions, but bottom line: you CAN update only the V9 plugs that are still covered by WUP to version 10 and they can live side by side with your older V9 plugs. There is v9 WaveShell and a v10 WaveShell and a different folder for the different version plugs.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

James Steele wrote: There is v9 WaveShell and a v10 WaveShell and a different folder for the different version plugs.
Yes.
And somewhere in the Waves 10 installation process, it actually asks you if you want to keep or delete anything related to V9 or earlier versions, which I chose to delete to keep my OS disk nice and clean.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FMiguelez wrote:
James Steele wrote: There is v9 WaveShell and a v10 WaveShell and a different folder for the different version plugs.
Yes.
And somewhere in the Waves 10 installation process, it actually asks you if you want to keep or delete anything related to V9 or earlier versions, which I chose to delete to keep my OS disk nice and clean.
Right. I think what messed me up is I chose that and since I had lots of v9 plugs that were not covered by WUP, I think it might have deleted those too. Maybe not. Just be careful.

waxman

Post by waxman »

The $225 to get through the next few years is not so bad. But Waves is always jerking around its install and shell game. Always been Counter-intuitive to me. Hopefully, 9 holds up until and if Waves does a subscription model. That said past behavior is the best indicator of future behaviour so the new Mojave OS and Waves Vs 9 and the new DP X is probably going to break everything.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I ran into an issue wherein, after updating to v10 for my up-to-date-WUP-products, one of my v9 Waves plugs (which has not been WUPped) was not found as authorized by DP even though I omitted the plug from my update to Waves v10 and have a valid v9 license.

Waves support provided the answer via this link:

https://www.waves.com/support/plugins-d ... v10-update

I followed the directions, which involved allowing the Waves-supplied Terminal App "V9-V10 Organizer" to scan my system and DP now sees the v9 plugin. The v10 plugs seem to be fine with DP and the latest MOTU Pro Audio driver. All is again well at Rancho Bohemia.

Have a nice day!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:Waves-supplied Terminal App "V9-V10 Organizer"
I wondered what happened to Rube Goldberg. He went to work in software support at Waves.

A couple of no brainer sales ago, I bought NX. It's V9 installer erased all my other V9 Waves plugins. Support said, "no problem". Just log in, create an install package and download the several GB file it creates, run it and select all the plugins you need to re-install. Except NX.

Now that's replaced with a Terminal app? What's next?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Although I probably have a few plugs that I bought during the past year, I just decided to WUP the whole lot to get it over with, and to take advantage of the $225 cap (less at your favorite plugin dealer).

There's a lot of Waves plugs I never use, but more than a handful of plugs I couldn't do without. Oh I probably could.....but really don't want to. I think I've been using some of these said plugs for at least 7 or 8 years without having to WUP, so if they keep v10 viable for that long I'm good with it. I've paid more for DP updates over that time period etc. There's some other software I have to renew/resubscribe every year or so that I'm more unhappy about.

I guess it depends on how many plugs you have to WUP, but if you wait and do it later you might have to pay more overall. The v9/v10 coexistent dance seems like more trouble than it's worth.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote:I wondered what happened to Rube Goldberg. He went to work in software support at Waves.
It does seem rather Goldberg-ish, but the Organizer only took about a minute to download and run. It was easy-peasy. Although it is much better now, Native Instruments always took the cake for me as far as installation nightmares.

I've got Waves on every mix; would have just stayed on v9 (it was working fine), but figured getting fully updated while I still could at no cost made sense.

BTW, if you move up to a bigger Waves package when said package is on sale, it can be far cheaper than renewing WUP. I think my last upgrade cost about $50 and effectively WUPped everything but the Aphex Aural Exciter. Just sayin'.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote: BTW, if you move up to a bigger Waves package when said package is on sale, it can be far cheaper than renewing WUP. I think my last upgrade cost about $50 and effectively WUPped everything but the Aphex Aural Exciter. Just sayin'.
Move up to bigger Waves package? Whaaaa????
waxman
tremo

Post by tremo »

HCMarkus wrote:
bayswater wrote: BTW, if you move up to a bigger Waves package when said package is on sale, it can be far cheaper than renewing WUP. I think my last upgrade cost about $50 and effectively WUPped everything but the Aphex Aural Exciter. Just sayin'.
Yup. This is exactly what I just did. I've owned Gold + RenMaxx for years, long out of WUP (but v9 and still working fine). Re-WUP would've cost the $225 cap. The Horizon bundle is on sale now, and I upgraded for about $200. So I gained a bunch of useful plugs, and all my Waves stuff is now at v10, hopefully good for years to come. Watching for the right sale can be a great re-WUP strategy.
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.5 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 11
waxman

Post by waxman »

I have lots of separates only musicians2 bundle. So that would not apply to separates correct?
waxman
tremo

Post by tremo »

waxman wrote:I have lots of separates only musicians2 bundle. So that would not apply to separates correct?
You can login to your Waves account and go to the Upgrades page. You should see a list of your plugins. Check off the ones you want to upgrade and click "Get Upgrade Options" for pricing on your eligible upgrades.
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.5 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 11
waxman

Post by waxman »

tremo wrote:
waxman wrote:I have lots of separates only musicians2 bundle. So that would not apply to separates correct?
You can login to your Waves account and go to the Upgrades page. You should see a list of your plugins. Check off the ones you want to upgrade and click "Get Upgrade Options" for pricing on your eligible upgrades.
Yes thanks. Did that last week and it was $625. But there is a check box that takes it down to $250.
waxman