Crashes during bounce

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
SingingRabbit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Crashes during bounce

Post by SingingRabbit »

For some time now I've been having problems with DP crashing as soon as I start bouncing a track to disk. At first it was sporadic, but once it happened in a project that project would crash every time a bounce was started. In the past day or so bounce doesn't work at all, but crashes DP every time a bounce is started.
Using Windows 10 and DP 9.51
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Crashes during bounce

Post by supersonic »

Does it crash if you start it in Safe Mode?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
SingingRabbit

Post by SingingRabbit »

As in starting the computer in safe mode, or is there a safe mode in DP? Currently unable to start computer in safe mode. Windows 10 said using a pin was safer, and I've been using the pin so long, I forgot my password.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but it is a workaround. Use a real-time bounce to an audio track. Not as fast as BTD in most cases, but it will work and get your work done until you figure out what's going on.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

SingingRabbit wrote:As in starting the computer in safe mode, or is there a safe mode in DP? Currently unable to start computer in safe mode. Windows 10 said using a pin was safer, and I've been using the pin so long, I forgot my password.
Launch DP while holding ALT. Choose safe from the menu that appears.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If I get repeated crashes during bounce and it is not a plugin incompatibility, I look for the bad stick of RAM—I always find one.

Create a test project. Dump a number of files into it but no plugins. See if you still get the crash.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
SingingRabbit

Post by SingingRabbit »

Safe mode didn't fix the problem with files where the bounce had already caused a crash. Two files I hadn't worked on yet worked okay in safe mode, but then a new file crashed as soon as I tried to bounce, so safe mode isn't fixing it.
Currently I'm not using any plug ins.
chkdsk shows no bad sectors
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Does this include VIs?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

SingingRabbit wrote:...
Again, look for bad RAM.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
SingingRabbit

Post by SingingRabbit »

Memory diagnostics shows no problems
Not using VIs
The computer is only about 6 months old, but it could well be something system related as from time to time I'm having major slowdowns that are too frequent to be Windows updates/patches.
EBNY

Post by EBNY »

mikehalloran wrote:
SingingRabbit wrote:...
Again, look for bad RAM.
Mike,

I'm having the same issue. DP crashes every time I try to bounce. This just started today. I bounced yesterday and it worked fine. When you say "look for bad RAM", what exactly do you mean?

Thanks,
E
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

EBNY wrote:
Mike,

I'm having the same issue. DP crashes every time I try to bounce. This just started today. I bounced yesterday and it worked fine. When you say "look for bad RAM", what exactly do you mean?

Thanks,
E
There are a few potential causes including incompatible plugin, corrupt header in the audio (9.52 is very sensitive to this) and a bad stick of RAM.

If the same project occasionally crashes BTD, I suspect the RAM. Bad RAM is likely to act up when it gets hot and behave when cool.

There are tools designed to test it. A surefire sign is if they crash while running the test. They don't always tell you which stick it is—this can be a bear when it must be installed in pairs and you only have two. It's one reason I always keep the original sticks when I upgrade. Apple Support can help ID defective RAM if you still have the original installed.

I use TechTool Pro and ATOMIC but can justify the cost as I maintain a number of Macs. Although ATOMIC is a torture test for RAM, I've never had a bad stick that TTP missed. Always test with all apps closed and a fresh reboot.
https://www.micromat.com/products

MOTU support has helped users identify corrupt audio.

Fixing corrupt audio is easy in QuickTime or iTunes. By converting an aif file to wav or vise versa, you are stripping and rewriting the header while leaving the raw audio alone. The problem is that they can only process one file at a time. Batch processing in DSP-Quattro or TwistedWave can process hundreds of files in a few minutes.