Streamlining VST Plug-ins

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Westlyn
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Streamlining VST Plug-ins

Post by Westlyn »

I turn again to my brothers in the MNation (Are there sisters? I hope so.) to deal with a long standing conflict.

What is the best setup/signal path for dealing with third party plug-ins?

The manual lists three options/possibilities and I've tried them all with marginal success.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Jim Westlyn
Westlyn

Re: Streamlining VST Plug-ins

Post by Westlyn »

I feel like I didn't present my situation very well.

I didn't mean "signal path" so much as root path; where the VST plug-in files are located on my hard drive.

The manual (p.839) says "If you are running the 32-bit version of DP on a 64-bit Windows system, the root path is: C:Program Files(x86)." I'm running 64-bit in both cases. Does that change things?

It also offers 3 spots on the hard drive where the VST's are parked (same page). Does it have to be in ALL three spots? Mine are kind of scattered around (I didn't do it on purpose) and I'd like to know for sure where they should go.

A little help... Thanks!

Jim
mesayre

Re: Streamlining VST Plug-ins

Post by mesayre »

I think, for the sake of organization, you'd want to keep the 64-bit plugs separate from the 32-bit ones. So instead of Program Files (x86), put them in the folder that's just "Program Files".

As far as I know DP doesn't care what that folder is called or where it is, so long as you tell it where to look. However, you may find that some plugin installers want to put things in a particular location. I think most developers are letting us choose now, but some older plugs might default to a specific location.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB