Music Modernization Act

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Music Modernization Act

Post by waxman »

waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Music Modernization Act

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not sure, but the Mechanical Licensing Collective (MLC) has a nice ring to it.

All kidding aside, I generally leave such things to BMI to defend or resist. I need to see the pros and cons of the proposal, not just the proposal abstract.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I've been also getting similar emails from my PRO (SGAE).

Apparently, at least in Europe, they are starting to wage war on the ridiculousness of abusive companies like Spotify, YouTube, etc., fighting for us composers to get our fair share.
It's time we stop filling their pockets with OUR talent, work and money. They make millions while they pay us fractions of a penny. I've signed every petition they've sent my way.

If this mess doesn't get resolved in the next years, it never will, to our own demise.
I still see a future, 100 years from now, where PROs disappeared from this planet. I'm just glad I won't be around then to see this tragedy happening :boohoo:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FMiguelez wrote: I still see a future, 100 years from now, where PROs disappeared from this planet. I'm just glad I won't be around then to see this tragedy happening :boohoo:
Send me your forwarding address and I'll keep you posted.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote: I still see a future, 100 years from now, where PROs disappeared from this planet. I'm just glad I won't be around then to see this tragedy happening :boohoo:
Yea, you've said that before. If Google, Spotify and the like have their way, you might be right but I don't see it happening.

The PROs are the ones fighting for your rights. If measures like this fail, there will be nothing to protect.

The alternate to the PROs is chaos. Do you know what composers were being paid on performance royalties before that? Somewhere around $0. Herbert v Shanley was only 101 years ago.

Google et all are spending many million$ to institutionalize enough chaos to ensure that that big internet doesn't have to pay anyone.

BTW, it's official as of April 12. ASCAP distributed over $1 Billion in 2017 to our composer/author/publisher members and their estates.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Update:

Minutes ago, the US House of Representatives passed the MMA by 415-0.

Hmmm... shouldn't this thread be in the Business section?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Send me your forwarding address and I'll keep you posted.
mikehalloran wrote:
Yea, you've said that before. If Google, Spotify and the like have their way, you might be right but I don't see it happening.
I'm probably being a little dramatic, as usual, but most of the signs I see are not positive or even encouraging.

What worries me, is that, despite current efforts by PROs and relevant organizations to change things for the better, I'm afraid it's too little too late, since the wild machine has been in motion for too long, and its get-rich-at-the-expense-of-the-creators momentum seems almost unstoppable. It's an extremely heavy beast.

It would've been easier to change this as the internet developed, but now it's going to be so much harder, if possible at all.
How do we get these multi billion-dollar companies to switch gears and redistribute the money properly? What's our leverage? There will always be some slob or amateur who will accept whatever bad terms are offered to him as long as he "gets a shot", even to the point of giving away all his IP.

Payments are down. For instance, right now, for sync licenses, I'm making less than half than what I used to make 20 freaking years ago! That's TWO DECADES ago! Were it not for the performance royalties, which are still great (and paid in Euros), I'd probably be selling encyclopedias door to door already.

Now the TV stations always want to give you "package deals", where, instead of paying for every sync for every piece for every chapter, now they want carte blanche and set up a dollar amount beforehand regardless of the number of pieces and the number of actual synchronizations. And the tendency is clearly going to the bottom, since they are fighting to remove sync license payments completely. And it won't be long before they succeed. They're clearly almost there.

I understand there are lots of TV networks in the States (i.e., most reality-show stuff) that also do not pay ANY sync licenses at all thanks to some obscure and idiotic blind spot in the current non-laws. And many others are trying to change things to imitate these non-paying entities.

IOW, I see more negative signs than positive regarding all this, and the tendency is clearly towards giving the finger to us, the creators, in favor of greedy corporate gains.

And I haven't even touched any of the online mess, which is much worse and the one that drives this negative tendency...

Add the current under-valuation of music due to ridiculous over saturation of the market, rampant piracy, and excess of participants (remember now everybody with an iPhone is a musician), and no wonder why things are the way they are.

Do you guys really think we can stop the huge momentum of this wild west situation with these mega corporations? With what leverage?
I'm feeling quite pessimistic about it :boohoo:
Last edited by FMiguelez on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

I'm certainly not an expert on the topic, but have tried to learn as much as I can.

The circles I run in (a mix of composers, indepedent recording artists, and union musicians) are generally in favor of it, but with some important caveats detailed in this article by the David Wolf, et. al. of Music Answers:

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2018/02/ ... tter-.html

I'm not sure if or how any of those issues have been addressed in the two months since that article was published.

All the organizations I am affiliated with went ahead and endorsed the bill despite these issues, as folks in the know were of the opinion that, should this bill fail, it's unlikely we'd see major copyright legislation for another decade. As much as we may care about it, it's not the kind of legislation that makes a legislator's career. So we were told, anyway.

I haven't decided how I feel about it. I think...it's good?
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I read that and many other articles. To address the main concern:

Our belief is that we can and must do better.

Knock yourselves out. It took six years and one hell of a lot of work to get it this far.

In 1998, Congress gave Big Internet a pass to steal everything that wasn't nailed down ... plus a crowbar to pry loose the nails.

No, I don't believe the genie will ever make it back into the bottle but this will help.

I can't write much more about this until I retire.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Read this it will help put a perspective on what the Digital Piracy Parasites and the Technology Companies have done to devastate culture, music and artists.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/ ... -free-ride
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

It all makes me sick. :vomit:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waxman wrote:Read this it will help put a perspective on what the Digital Piracy Parasites and the Technology Companies have done to devastate culture, music and artists.
That article is nearly 7 years old, and that really makes the point about bottles and genies that aren't going back into them.

We have adults walking among us who have never known a time when you had to pay to get music, books, movies, news or TV shows.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

bayswater wrote:
waxman wrote:Read this it will help put a perspective on what the Digital Piracy Parasites and the Technology Companies have done to devastate culture, music and artists.
That article is nearly 7 years old, and that really makes the point about bottles and genies that aren't going back into them.

We have adults walking among us who have never known a time when you had to pay to get music, books, movies, news or TV shows.
Yep nothing has changed since 2002... But there is some traction now for change.

From 1950s to the early 2000’s the business of music and it’s trend-setting culture thrived. Dick Clark’s American Bandstand, The British Invasion, The San Francisco Sound, Motown, NY & LA Hip Hop, Hollywood Metal, Seattle Grunge, Austin Americana and of course Nashville Country music just to name a few. ALL had a common thread… THEY ALL produced a recognizable sound and a unique culture tied to a geographical area.

In 2000 along came the digital piracy parasites…. Who were shortly followed by some crafty technology firms. These two forces crushed the life out of the culture business wiping out the grassroots venues & stages critical to new original music and culture. Policymakers must change it.
waxman