MachFive and DP Versions Compatibility

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

lampfilmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MachFive and DP Versions Compatibility

Post by lampfilmusic »

Used to use MachFive v2 with DP8. All fine.

Updated to DP9. Now when I open DP8 project files in DP9, DP says it can't find MachFive (v2).

Is MachFive v2 incompatible with DP9? If not, how can I activate MachFive again? I have tried going to DP9 Preferences>General>Audio Plugins, and MachFive (v2) does not appear in the list of plugins, however I can see the MachFive (v2) application in my Mac applications' folder.

Thanks for any help! :?
FMiguelez

Re: MachFive and DP Versions Compatibility

Post by FMiguelez »

I don't remember which MF version is the latest. That is the one I use and it is compatible with DP 9, but MF (3?) is quite buggy. Sometimes it seems DP hates MF. Running it via VE Pro makes things slighlty better. At least this way, when it crashes, it only takes down VE Pro and leaves DP alone.

If DP doesn't see the MF instrument, you should try moving to the Finder the preference file that DP uses for reading the plugins. This will force DP to rescan ALL your plugins. I think you need to have your iLok connected when that happens for DP to take it in.

Let us know if that solves it for you.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't think M5 is 32 bit compatible, so if your system changed to 64 bit, that could be the issue. Does DP 9 do 32 bit? I can't remember...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Is upgrading to MF 3 a possibility for you?

If MF2 is 32- bit only, what MLC said could be the issue...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
lampfilmusic

Post by lampfilmusic »

Thanks Miguelez and MIDI Life Crists.

To find the DP preferences, I found this from MOTU:

The following are your preference files, which are found in the User Library.

For OS X 10.6.8 navigate directly to MacHD-> Users->(Your User Name)->Library->Preferences
For OS X 10.7.x-10.10.x: Hold the Option Key while clicking on the Finder's "GO" drop-down menu, select Library, then open the Preferences folder.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

FMiguelez wrote:I don't remember which MF version is the latest
MachFive 3 v3.2.1 is the current version. It's working reliably for me with DP9.5 and Sierra.

Other posters might be right that it's a 32/64-bit issue.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Rick Cornish wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:I don't remember which MF version is the latest
MachFive 3 v3.2.1 is the current version. It's working reliably for me with DP9.5 and Sierra.

Other posters might be right that it's a 32/64-bit issue.
Same here. Never a problem.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I don't think M5 is 32 bit compatible, so if your system changed to 64 bit, that could be the issue. Does DP 9 do 32 bit? I can't remember...
DP 9, like 8, defaults to 64 bit only where it cannot run 32 bit only plugs and VIs unless you run a 64bit wrapper like 32Lives. You can change to 32 bit in Get Info but it won’t run 64 bit only plugins. Many are 32/64 and will run in either mode.

This article discusses MarkFive 3 adding 64 bit in 2012 when DP wasn’t there yet. It mentions that, as a VI, it runs 32/64 but complains that the standalone version is 64 bit only and can’t open 32 bit libraries.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/machfive-3

I don’t think that 32Lives was available in 2012 when it was written.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
lampfilmusic

Post by lampfilmusic »

Even opening DP9 in 32-bit mode (by setting its 'Get info' window) does not open the MachFive v2 plugin.

The apparent lack of backwards compatibility is frustrating. :|