Surround encoding

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
javierdh
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Surround encoding

Post by javierdh »

Question 1:
What encoding options are available nowadays for encoding surround material in DP?
Is for a short to be shown at a movie theater.

Question 2:
If I bounce a 5.1 project using stereo, is it just bouncing L&R or is it bouncing a fold down?
The stereo is intended for the client to show the it around (in his computer probably)

Thank you!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Surround encoding

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

In terms of channels, DP9 provides up to 10.1 AFAIK. The fold down option is electable for mono or stereo (if that was what you mean). I haven't done a surround mix in 10 years, so hopefully others will chime in and tell me where I'm wrong. They usually do... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

Re 1, I'm not sure what you mean by encoding. It used to be that encoded formats were more common, such as Dolby E and Lt Rt. Nowadays discrete 5.1 files are the norm for film. DP can export interleaved and deinterleaved in 5.1, 7.1 etc.

Re 2, Fold downs in DP include some of the surround, center and LFE information. Not just the L,R. Creating previews for clients is more or less what fold-down is for.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
javierdh

Post by javierdh »

I did a test and the stereo bounce of a surround session is a foldown indeed.
About the encoder for cinema apparently is just sending the 6 audio files in a DCP package and all will be set as long as the channels are in SMPTE confg.

Thanks!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I suggest you look at Apple’s Compressor app for Mac as well. That can encode surround audio and lots of other stuff.

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/compressor/
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

javierdh wrote:About the encoder for cinema apparently is just sending the 6 audio files in a DCP package and all will be set as long as the channels are in SMPTE confg.

Thanks!
I’m not a full time film mixer, but that is my understanding and how I’ve delivered theatrical mixes. If they don’t specify, I’ll give them both discreet deinterleaved (.L, .R, .Ls, .Rs, .Lfe, .C) and interleaved to be safe....the interleaved may not be necessary.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
javierdh

Post by javierdh »

Tested and confirmed:

Answer 1:
If you bounce a surround session using stereo, the file is a foldown.

Answer 2:
For cinema, just send the discreet files in the DCP, use SMPTE format. (unless you are dealing with a million dollar production who is willing to pay for the dolby ATOMOS :lol: ).

Thanks to all for your feedback!

J