Import Other DAW Key Bindings_Commands

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Import Other DAW Key Bindings_Commands

Post by rosindabow »

Hi all ... My main DAW is DP bu I frequently have to use Pro Tools and every now and then, Logic Pro. I just did a search for Key Commands and the only entry dates back to 2001. Also, when I went to Import the bindings into my session, there didn't seem to be a way to save it as a separate file so that I cold use them as needed. I know that Logic can import Pro Tools Key Commands, I would think this was an easy add-on. Does it exist? Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Import Other DAW Key Bindings_Commands

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I’ve not heard that these are translatable and doubt they are.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I think key bindings reside in DP Preferences, so you might be able to make a copy of the Preferences folder and modify one with your alternate bindings, then swap as needed. Not sure whether you'd need to restart your Mac or just DP to have the alternate preferences take effect.
MIDI Life Crisis

Would Logic or Garageband, or PT be able to read a DP plist? Then again I think he's on a PC so maybe it is possible. I suspect it's not as easy as copy and paste a list, especially since different DAW use different terms. What would PT do with a "Chunk?"
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Would Logic or Garageband, or PT be able to read a DP plist? Then again I think he's on a PC so maybe it is possible. I suspect it's not as easy as copy and paste a list, especially since different DAW use different terms. What would PT do with a "Chunk?"
HI all - no, I'm a Mac user. I guess I accidentally posted this on the Windows site. I'll repost it under Mac. Seems like it would be an easy thing to do ...
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Sure, you can save or export the key bindings in DP -- it's in the mini menu. But these are not usable in other DAWs, and other DAW command exports don't work in DP. The command structure is not the same and many commands in one DAW don't exist in the other.

Being used to DP's commands, I have edited the key commands in Logic and other apps, but this takes a while, and ends up with only a little more than half of the commands being the same. I did manage to cover most of the transport and basic navigation commands.

There used to be some key command presets that let you get close to PT and maybe other DAWs in DP, and Logic has a PT preset.

I expect you can get a lot closer using one of the keyboard macro applications.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

bayswater wrote: I expect you can get a lot closer using one of the keyboard macro applications.
Agreed! MI'd suggest Keyboard Maestro as Quickeys hasn't been updated in many years and is basically dead in the water (although some parts of it continue to operate - however sporadically).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just do it the hard way. Write 'em down and enter 'em in manually. It'll build character. :P
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

stubbsonic wrote:Just do it the hard way. Write 'em down and enter 'em in manually. It'll build character. :P
We don't need no stinkin' character!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:Just do it the hard way. Write 'em down and enter 'em in manually. It'll build character. :P
Didn't help me with character, but it did make the commands easier to remember.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
frankf

Post by frankf »

When I moved from Studio Vision to DP I changed a lot of DP commands to match SVP’s. It made the transition so much smoother. I’m still using some I’m sure but after all this time I’m not sure which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB