Dust, dust, dust... It's driving me crazy!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dust, dust, dust... It's driving me crazy!

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

How do you guys deal with the damned dust?

No matter what I do, every week I can see a film of dust over my mixers, keyboards, etc., not to mention the furniture where the computers are located.
Cedrick, my furry dog shown in my avatar, who spends all weekdays with me at the studio, also contributes with balls of hair I always find in the corners. Not letting him in the studio with me is totally out of the question, though. He's my gorgeous muse :D

Even if I keep the door closed, this always happens. I hate cleaning, and when I do it I'm always afraid of ruining something with the vacuum cleaner. It has a "hairy" attachment that I use to suck the dust out of the equipment. I do it carefully from a one centimeter distance, so the vacuum doesn't touch the equipment. But this is not enough!

How do people with huge consoles or Euro synth racks keep everything always so clean and pristine?

When my studio is not in use, which normally is only during weekends, I always cover everything with customized fabrics that fit everything. But even then, there's always dust! I hate playing the keyboard and get the dust sensation on my fingers.

How do you guys and gals deal with it?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Re: Dust, dust, dust... It's driving me crazy!

Post by FMiguelez »

I don't know if this is true, but I've read that most of the dust is actually our own dead skin cells...

If that's true, then I'm a reptile who must have almost no skin cells left to lose! :smash:

Are my cells too loose? Should I wrap myself up in covers? :mrgreen:
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Aside from regular cleaning (it’s not all bad, at least in states where weed is legal...) some well heeled folks hire cleaning people. I never have and it does accumulate. Locally, one can hire a topless maid service for $99/hour (assuming one hasn’t blown their wad on weed). I hear those specialty maids don’t clean so well, but you never seem the notice what they missed until they’re long gone.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Cats. Hairballs in places you'd never expect to find them, dried into a thick mass wrapped around cables in the most inaccessible places. That aside, I keep those microfiber dust cloths on hand all the time, and wash them frequently. For those little crevices around, I use one of those micro vacuum attachments that come in handy.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

A soft dry paintbrush does a good job moving dust off the gear to where it can be picked up by the typical devices
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I have a big paintbrush near the desk. While everything is firing up, I use it to swish the dust off stuff I'm using. Most of it settles on the floor where it gets vacuumed now and then. It was a lot worse when we had a cat.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

If you have forced air HVAC change your filters often. I recently had my system upgraded and the dust was dramatically reduced.
And yes eating weedies does help motivate a cleaning frenzy I also ended up cutting the grass 3 times one day.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I have the same problem, FM. It's an ongoing battle. A paint brush and vacuum cleaner is my go-to combination for things with hard to reach places. Hold the vac close to (but not close enough to cause damage) and use the brush to get the dust up into the vac's area of influence. It's a Zen thing.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I’m thinking about getting one of these. It looks like a long brush but it’s made of long, thin tubes. It can’t pull up small parts.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BB1N9C3/re ... 7082298416
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
billf

Post by billf »

It's a constant battle, but you can get control over it without much extra work. There are several things you can try:
  • -An old fashioned duster (especially for the covers, those will probably need dusting too)
    -Natural bristle paint brush (note: make sure the bristles are NOT nylon)
    -Small air compressor
    -Vacuum the floor frequently (duration depends on situation)
    -Put filters on air vents if you have forced air heating/cooling in the room
    -Wipe down everything with a microfiber cloth at the end of each day
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

My pet problem is that my kitty loves to bite wires, and I go through headphones like you wouldn't believe. She can't kill studio-grade cans with thick wires, but I often use consumer headphones for field recording and for added referencing. I just lost another pair of cheapo Senns (HD202) the other day. I LOVE those for field shoots because they're reasonably isolating and have a very long cable. Alas, it's also very thin and looks like a mouse tail... Om Nom!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:...some well heeled folks hire cleaning people. I never have and it does accumulate. Locally, one can hire a topless maid service for $99/hour (assuming one hasn’t blown their wad on weed). I hear those specialty maids don’t clean so well, but you never seem the notice what they missed until they’re long gone.
This guy must have an army of (topless?) maids!

Keeping that clean and dust free must NOT be fun... Unless you have an army of the above mentioned workers :)

Phil O wrote:It's a Zen thing.
Phil
Ha!
I'll try to see it that way, Phil :)
Ooooooohhhhmmmmmmmmmm......

billf wrote: -Natural bristle paint brush (note: make sure the bristles are NOT nylon)
Just curious as to why not nylon. Does it create some kind of static?

Great ideas. I hadn't though of the paint brush. That would certainly become handy.

Also, I think I've been using the wrong tool all along... I've been using one of those kitchen rags (trapos) to clean the surfaces. I wet the rag and squeeze the water out, so it's just humid. Then I clean the furniture, but it always leaves debris behind, like little particles that then turn into dust again.

I suppose that's what the suggested microfiber cloth is good for? I shall try this.

But undeniably, MLC's suggestion would be the nicest. I'll send him the bills from the maids.

I actually used to have a maid that was very good with my equipment a few years ago. Now, another girl goes to the studio every 2 or 3 weeks, but she is forbidden to touch the equipment because she is too rough and a bit clumsy. She vacuums and cleans the rest of the space, but I end up having to clean the most annoying stuff myself.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

frankf

Post by frankf »

After 40 years of doing this I keep it simple: no dogs, cats or maids (except floors & trash) or other pets (lost mini turtles and young children come to mind); vacuum with a soft round brush, 1.5” good quality soft bristle painter’s brush and, if needed, a slightly damp cloth or paper towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

What everyone else has said, plus two other things: cats and masking tape.

Not that you use them together. Quite the contrary. You see, cats are natural dust mops. A cat will get in every crevice of your studio, behind computers, in between cables, and so forth. It's just the cat's way of having fun. That keeps some of the deeper stuff uprooted. That blows forward with passing foot-traffic, and you pick it up with masking tape. Stuff on your desk that's bothering you, but not enough to go get a vacuum cleaner, is probably pretty small. A short piece of masking tape will pick it up just fine. You only have to be careful not to stick to surfaces that could be damaged by peeling off the tape. And fold the tape over itself when done; you don't want a cat getting into it. You'd just about have to clip the cat's hair to get the tape out.

Just a couple extra tools in the arsenal against dust. Of course, the down side to cats is that they create their OWN environmental havoc. You do have to vacuum up their fur. But masking tape once again helps clean up behind them as they sleep on your desk, walk past your keyboard, and shed little fine hairs. Once a day ought to help a lot.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

Shooshie wrote:What everyone else has said, plus two other things: cats and masking tape.

Not that you use them together. Quite the contrary. You see, cats are natural dust mops. A cat will get in every crevice of your studio, behind computers, in between cables, and so forth. It's just the cat's way of having fun. That keeps some of the deeper stuff uprooted. That blows forward with passing foot-traffic, and you pick it up with masking tape. Stuff on your desk that's bothering you, but not enough to go get a vacuum cleaner, is probably pretty small. A short piece of masking tape will pick it up just fine. You only have to be careful not to stick to surfaces that could be damaged by peeling off the tape. And fold the tape over itself when done; you don't want a cat getting into it. You'd just about have to clip the cat's hair to get the tape out.

Just a couple extra tools in the arsenal against dust. Of course, the down side to cats is that they create their OWN environmental havoc. You do have to vacuum up their fur. But masking tape once again helps clean up behind them as they sleep on your desk, walk past your keyboard, and shed little fine hairs. Once a day ought to help a lot.

Shoosh
reading this I’m almost glad I’m allergic to cats Shoosh. There’s enough dust in the studio already! Best to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB