signal from 828mkII overloading input

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

signal from 828mkII overloading input

Post by edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp »

The signal I am running is from a guitar into an FMR RNP -> FMR RNC -> analog input on back of 828mkII. The signal into the RNP is not clipping and I am just putting a little compression on in the RNC and have the output turned to minimum, but it is overloading the input of the 828. I checked the manual but I cannot find a way to trim. On the 828, Volume is for headphones and audio output and the Trim knobs are for the two mic/guitar inputs.
Is there no way to trim an input signal?
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
HCMarkus

Re: signal from 828mkII overloading input

Post by HCMarkus »

edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp wrote:The signal I am running is from a guitar into an FMR RNP -> FMR RNC -> analog input on back of 828mkII. The signal into the RNP is not clipping and I am just putting a little compression on in the RNC and have the output turned to minimum, but it is overloading the input of the 828. I checked the manual but I cannot find a way to trim. On the 828, Volume is for headphones and audio output and the Trim knobs are for the two mic/guitar inputs.
Is there no way to trim an input signal?
If I recall correctly, there is a software input sensitivity switch, maybe in CueMix or Audio Set Up MOTU driver; set to +4.
edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp

Post by edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp »

HCMarkus wrote: If I recall correctly, there is a software input sensitivity switch, maybe in CueMix or Audio Set Up MOTU driver; set to +4.
Doesn't CueMix only work with Digital Performer? I think I tried it and it had no effect. I was trying to use it with Logic. I couldn't hear anything with DP for some reason.

So no control from the front knobs of the 828mkII, eh? I ended up just putting it into the mic/guitar input and using the Trim knob.
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp wrote:
HCMarkus wrote: If I recall correctly, there is a software input sensitivity switch, maybe in CueMix or Audio Set Up MOTU driver; set to +4.
Doesn't CueMix only work with Digital Performer? I think I tried it and it had no effect. I was trying to use it with Logic. I couldn't hear anything with DP for some reason.

So no control from the front knobs of the 828mkII, eh? I ended up just putting it into the mic/guitar input and using the Trim knob.
Each of the 8 analog channels are switchable between +4 and -10. This is done in CueMix which is part of the 828, not DP. You can control it from within DP or run it side by side with your host app. See pages 89—102. Page 97 shows how to set levels.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro