LuSH-101 and DP9

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mfny
Primary DAW OS: Windows

LuSH-101 and DP9

Post by mfny »

Hi all,

Am new to DP9, trying the demo.

I am having a terrible time getting one of my favourite plugins to work.

It only seems to pick up MIDI note input sporadically, and the MIDI activity "LED" in the plugin is stuck always on.

I am using a Akai MPK Mini as a MIDI controller and when I add a stock MOTU instrument to the project it behaves fine.

Maybe a setting for VSTS/MIDI i am missing, as DP's handling of MIDI in particular is rather counter intuitive so I may have something wrong ?
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: LuSH-101 and DP9

Post by bayswater »

Maybe you have a MIDI loop?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mfny

Post by mfny »

bayswater wrote:Maybe you have a MIDI loop?
How would i find out and fix such a thing ?
mfny

Post by mfny »

Update, Tried a few more VST's and all have similar issues, infact another one of my plugins, Novation Bass Station straight up crashes as soon as a key is pressed with the sound playing constantly as it does so.

Are VSTs just broken in DP or ?
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

MIDI feedback loops can happen in a fews ways. Best to google MIDI feedback loop and look at some examples. Generally it happens when the destination for MIDI sent by a DAW track or region, sends the MIDI back to the same track or region, which then sends it back to the same destination, and so on.

So even at 33Khz, "slow" MIDI, the setup will try to play each note 4,000 times a second, so much MIDI on these connections that the destination is overloaded and the DAW is overloaded. The destination stutters, and the DAW hangs. When the MIDI feedback loop is broken, the last few notes will play, and the DAW will come back to life.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mfny

Post by mfny »

Apparently the solution to my problems was to turn multi record on. I have no idea why this would fix it but i now get the expected behaviour.