THANK YOU, "MAGIC DAVE" ROBERTS!!!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: THANK YOU, "MAGIC DAVE" ROBERTS!!!!!

Post by waterstrum »

I send my thanks to Dave for his helpful input here at Motunation.
It was great to have a MOTU guy visiting and offering assistance.
He will surely be missed.
Thanks Dave!
All is well
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by magicd »

Good people, I am humbled. Working for MOTU has been the opportunity of a lifetime but I dare say the best thing I've gotten out of the gig are the friends I've met and made. I'll continue to hang out here and try to post something useful once in a awhile. Peace and Love to all!

Dave
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Happy trails, Dave!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Much appreciation, Dave. We'll miss your posts here, but best wishes on your new endeavors!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

It’s funny, just this week I had to call MOTU tech support about something— and it was an esoteric issue, because I don’t call tech support unless it’s something pretty obscure and difficult—and I remember thinking to myself while on hold “I hope it’s Dave who answers,” because I always knew that no matter how deep and technical, Dave would know exactly what I was talking about. Of course, it wasn’t Dave, and the guy who helped me did a fine job, but it reminded me yet again how many times Dave had helped me demystify some abstruse problem that I needed to solve, usual involving both software and hardware.

I started with Performer in college in the late 80s, and Dave probably goes back that far — at least he was always there a far back as I remember, bridging that human connection between the gear and the end user, introducing us to all the new features every year, and inspiring us to move forward in times of rapid evolution in MIDI and audio.

The MOTU booth, and seeing Dave, was always the highlight for me every year at the AES convention. It was there, at the MOTU booth, that I had the pleasure of meeting the great Wendy Carlos, seeing things like guitar played through software amp emulation for the first time, and even once jamming briefly, playing organ on a small keyboard, along with Dave on bass and DP backing tracks!

In addition to his work at MOTU, Dave is also a great bass player, composer, engineer and producer, and in my opinion, has an excellent rock singing voice. He was born in the UK (and I believe holds dual citizenship?) and is also a cancer survivor. I hope he doesn’t mind me mentioning that part, but that is something that touched many around me over the years, reminding me all the more how precious it is to be able to share this journey in time and to get to know great individuals who have inspired me.

Love you, Dave. You are the best. Thanks for so many great years of excellence, and best wishes on your future adventures!

Babz
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

I never met Mr. Roberts but wish him the best on his future endeavor. Always enjoyed his Motu presentations at NAMM. The Motu family lost a valuable member.

cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Thanks for everything Dave!
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thank you for all your very useful and illuminating posts, Dave.

We all would still be scratching our heads about DP's Dither without you :)

I wish you the best with your new stage in life.

:unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I talked to Dave once many,many years ago and one of the reasons I stuck with Performer/DP was it was one of the few softwares you could actually get phone support.
Thanks Dave
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

I always relished each and every post Magic Dave made to the forum. His response to my tech inquires were always so on point. Thank you sir for your grace and expertise. Wildlife Acoustics is lucky to have someone of your caliber. -Chris
leigh

Post by leigh »

You're the best, Dave!

Thank you for everything (including the Laser Cat)!

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

ccrane wrote:I always relished each and every post Magic Dave made to the forum. His response to my tech inquires were always so on point. Thank you sir for your grace and expertise. Wildlife Acoustics is lucky to have someone of your caliber. -Chris
I generally one into the forum looking for unanswered questions or follow ups to threads I’m interested in. It when I see MagicD has responded to something, regardless of relevance to my own setup, I always make a point of reading it. Always sage advice.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Thanks for all your help over the years Magic Dave!!
Great working with you at NAMM as well!!
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Thanks for everything magicd, you will be missed
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Releaux

Post by Releaux »

After years positive interactions with Magic Dave, I was finally able to meet him in person at the Sweetwater Gearfest this past year. He gave me a couple of cool tips on the comp function in Digital Performer and then talked me into two 24Ais. :lol:

Dave, best wishes on the next chapter!
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)