Alternate way to edit MIDI Velocity

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rockman413 »

Hi there,
So I find it's a little hard for me to edit MIDI velocity in MIDI editor. The velocity nodes in the lower section of MIDI editor is a little too small , I'll have to really focus and try hard to select a velocity nodes. I suppose there's no way we can make those velocity nodes bigger..
I can select a note and short cut change velocity, but I'll have to furthur select more options to make one velocity bigger or smaller...

Please share your way to edit MIDI velocity.

I'm wondering if there's a way to :
1. select a MIDI note , one shortcut/key to bigger or smaller the velocity?
2. how to use arrow keys to select the left right up and down notes? (not move, but select a close by notes/ move the selection by the arrow keys)
3. use Pencil tool to write or overwrite the velocity directly in MIDI editor (right now , pencil tool can not do anything in the MIDI editor lower section to velocity)
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
FMiguelez

Re: Alternate way to edit MIDI Velocity

Post by FMiguelez »

rockman413 wrote:Hi there,
So I find it's a little hard for me to edit MIDI velocity in MIDI editor. The velocity nodes in the lower section of MIDI editor is a little too small , I'll have to really focus and try hard to select a velocity nodes. I suppose there's no way we can make those velocity nodes bigger..
I can select a note and short cut change velocity, but I'll have to furthur select more options to make one velocity bigger or smaller...

2. how to use arrow keys to select the left right up and down notes? (not move, but select a close by notes/ move the selection by the arrow keys)
3. use Pencil tool to write or overwrite the velocity directly in MIDI editor (right now , pencil tool can not do anything in the MIDI editor lower section to velocity)
I almost never select velocities directly. What I do is select the MIDI notes themselves, which is much easier by clicking or dragging a rectangle to include lots of them.

IIRC, there are shortcuts to select previous/next notes (check with shift-o).

As for #3, try using the Reshape Tool instead of the pencil. You can set it to a flat line, a slanted line, etc. Try some of the modes and take note which ones are most useful for you.
With the Reshape tool, you simply drag your cursor over the velocities, and it resacles them according to the tool settings.

Also, it sounds to me that you would benefit from a macros app such as QuicKeys. With it, you can create macros for repetitive moves, i.e. changing the reshape tool mode, and even for selecting a bunch of stuff.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

FMiguelez wrote:

I almost never select velocities directly. What I do is select the MIDI notes themselves, which is much easier by clicking or dragging a rectangle to include lots of them.

IIRC, there are shortcuts to select previous/next notes (check with shift-o).

As for #3, try using the Reshape Tool instead of the pencil. You can set it to a flat line, a slanted line, etc. Try some of the modes and take note which ones are most useful for you.
With the Reshape tool, you simply drag your cursor over the velocities, and it resacles them according to the tool settings.

Also, it sounds to me that you would benefit from a macros app such as QuicKeys. With it, you can create macros for repetitive moves, i.e. changing the reshape tool mode, and even for selecting a bunch of stuff.
IIRC, there are shortcuts to select previous/next notes (check with shift-o).---> Can you explain more ? I tried shift-o , does not allow me to select previous/next notes....

As for #3, try using the Reshape Tool instead of the pencil.
----> That's right! Thank you, but still I have to select the notes first... I'll have to select the notes first then reshape, I hope I can just go to the lower section and change the velocity instantly.
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

The shift-o command opens the Shortcuts Window, where you can search for the keybinding for what you want, if it exists (select previous/next note, etc).
It's one of DP's most useful window!

As for the Reshape tool, yes, unfortunately you need to select notes first, but selecting directly the MIDI notes should be easier than selecting the velocities. Make sure you try all the Reshape tool modes, as well as the Change Velocities command.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
frankf

Post by frankf »

I edit MIDI in the sequence editor. No mousing up and down as you describe. The velocity icons are too small for me and for others given the reports here, so I lasso or click select notes and use the Change Velocity command in the Region menu. I use a Keyboard Maestro menu macro which holds a few commonly used velocities. +5, +10, -10, etc. Fast and visible. Or opt-Shift-v to call the Change Velocity window directly. Or select and enter the desired velocity directly in the Event Window or the Event Info bar or window. Once a note is selected, TAB to next note (in sequence editor). The Change Velocity window has other options besides Add: Scale, Limit, Set are those I use the most. There are so many options in DP. HTH, Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Maybe this video can help you.
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
digitiki

Post by digitiki »

I have a related question: Is there a way to "scale" MIDI velocities within a range?
Bassically select a bunch of notes or an entire MIDI track and scale the velocities to a minimum and a maximum with velocities scaled proportionally in between rather than just cut off at top and bottom? I hope that makes sense.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Depending on the task, I may even use QuickScribe, as often I'll edit MIDI velocities in specific note ranges to compensate for an imbalance in a particular sampled instrument (when mic mixes aren't available or are not enough).

I've only used the MIDI editor a few times, specifically for addressing note LENGTH issues, as it's easy there to see when there are unwanted overlaps or overly large gaps for a given phrasing or instrument context.

More often than not, I use the MIDI Event List for most editing. This is mostly because QuickScribe can hide ghost notes and/or make it tricky to see which note is ahead of another one (or duplicated). But usually it's a mixture, starting in QuickScribe.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

digitiki wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:39 pm I have a related question: Is there a way to "scale" MIDI velocities within a range?
Bassically select a bunch of notes or an entire MIDI track and scale the velocities to a minimum and a maximum with velocities scaled proportionally in between rather than just cut off at top and bottom? I hope that makes sense.
This is a great tool; Go to the Region Menu, and choose Change Velocity... Then where it says "Add..." Click on the dlsclose triangle to the right of that and choose Compress/Expand this allows you to scale the velocities with a range as you said. The other options like Scale and Smooth can be useful as well, depending on your needs & situation. But that compress/expand thing is the nicest (IMHO)
Last edited by stubbsonic on Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
digitiki

Post by digitiki »

Thank you Stubsonic! I don't know how I have missed this before!!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Ah yes, I assumed everyone was using the Region Menu in conjunction with whatever DP window they were in! I've always been impressed by how flexible those Region commands are. I probably use them more than anything else in DP.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Please forgive me if I've missed something here.
I do huge amounts of MIDI editing.
I didn't see any reference to the Velocity Tool.
Hold down the V key and drag up and down on the note blob.
Or select numerous notes and they all respond.
I've used this tool daily since it was added to DP.
Probably a "Duh", but just in case...
All is well
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Cool, I didn't know about that one. I don't personally find it remotely useful for my work styles, but can see how it would be of benefit for a lot of people. I tried various modifier keys to see if that switched it to modifying Note Off, but it seems to only affect Note On. Although Note Off is rarely implemented as a unique control, I have owned libraries and plug-ins that do.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, I've never tried the "v" tool, either.

Often, if I'm feeling super specific, I just type a value in the selected note's velocity data field-- either in the list or in the MIDI editor. Not fast, but you type the value you want, and hit undo if you don't like.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com