High Sierra version 10.13

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
thebuff
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

High Sierra version 10.13

Post by thebuff »

Hi all, I’m just posting this to help prevent anybody losing their ability to use UAD plugins with the new Mac OS. Luckily I had version 10.12 that I can boot into. 10.13 will not work right now with UAD plugins. I am running DP 9.51 and this is being posted on 12/6/17.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: High Sierra version 10.13

Post by HCMarkus »

Just posted this in another thread:

If you know where to look, you can still download macOS Sierra 10.12 .dmg directly from Mac App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-s ... 7414?mt=12
HCMarkus

Re: High Sierra version 10.13.2

Post by HCMarkus »

This may be of interest here:
The macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Update improves the security, stability, and compatibility of your Mac and is recommended for all users.

This update:

Improves compatibility with certain third-party USB audio devices.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

corbo-billy wrote:Have you read this :?:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... ility-Info
True of many apps and plugs. Some companies do not go through the process of having things properly certified by Apple. With some, mostly one-person shops, it's a $$$ thing. With others, a feature that requires it needs to be rushed out to support customers and there isn't time.

Get used to it. Know whom you are buying from.

I've no problem with commercial products such as WavesFactory (one-man company)or Scrivener doing this. Freeware, shareware etc. ... makes it easy to avoid.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

corbo-billy wrote:Have you read this :?:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... ility-Info
Thanks!! Great.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Well, a few follicles later and I'm now downloading Sierra (thanks HC!!).

To catch up, I performed the upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.2. I have repeatedly reinstalled the latest UAD software, but it never shows up in the Security pane to allow me to allow it. As a result my Apollo still works but the UA plugs still don't load. (As part of my experiments I also reinstalled the latest MOTU drivers, and they DID show up in the Security pane to allow).

After a restart I booted up DP 9.5.1 to see if that would help. In spite of someone saying that with 9.5.1 you didn't need to reauthorize DP under the latest combo of OS and DP, I did need to reauthorize, and then again when I went back to 9.02. Playing back a simple file, I thought I heard a few crackles in 9.5.1, not so in 9.02 (as an aside).

Since the UAD doc said that there were no troubles with UA plugs IF they were authorized on the disk BEFORE upgrading to High Sierra, my hypothesis now is that if I install Sierra and get everything going, then perhaps that will carry over when I reinstall HS.

(Just got a message that the Sierra OS installer is 'too old' to open on HS. I guess I could install it from my Sierra drive?)

I should also mention that my SSD drive with HS was recently installed into my iMac on the extra hidden internal port (2011 iMac) to exist alongside my original (Sierra) HHD, therefore the HS install.

I can certainly exist for a while without my UAD plugins and just continue to reauthorize DP, but it's quickly becoming more of a pain than I feel like dealing with.

Sorry for rambling, don't know exactly what I'm asking here. Just frustrating that the published workarounds aren't working.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Successfully downloaded the Sierra installer and tried running it from my Sierra disk, but it cannot downgrade my SSD from HS to Sierra.

SO close to having my SSD firing on all cylinders, but still no cigar.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Tobor wrote:Successfully downloaded the Sierra installer and tried running it from my Sierra disk, but it cannot downgrade my SSD from HS to Sierra..
It can be done if you have a backup in Sierra or older. For that reason, I always turn off Time Machine when I upgrade the OS and don’t turn it back on till I am satisfied with the new OS install.

If you have such a back up, I’ll post how to do it.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you have such a back up, such as your Sierra disk, here’s what to try:

From your Sierra drive, open Disk Utility, reformat and erase the SSD. You will not see the volume but you should be able to view the raw SSD. If you can’t see this in Disk Utility, I can post how to do it in Terminal.

Now you should be able to install Sierra on the SSD. Once booted from the SSD, use Migration Assistant to pull everything over from your Sierra disk or a Time Machine backup done in Sierra or earlier.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

mikehalloran wrote:If you have such a back up, such as your Sierra disk, here’s what to try:

From your Sierra drive, open Disk Utility, reformat and erase the SSD. You will not see the volume but you should be able to view the raw SSD. If you can’t see this in Disk Utility, I can post how to do it in Terminal.

Now you should be able to install Sierra on the SSD. Once booted from the SSD, use Migration Assistant to pull everything over from your Sierra disk or a Time Machine backup done in Sierra or earlier.
Thanks Mike, that's straightforward, I was just hoping not to have to erase the drive after painstakingly building it. I realize though I can just clone my drive as built, and then migrate it back. I was going to reclone it anyway I guess. And I was able to download an install version of Sierra per HC's link. Don't want to reauthorize everything, but it may win out over authorizing DP on every boot!

I may hold out a little longer to see if a fix for my issues is soon in the offing. I'm certainly appreciating the mucho extra speed when booted in the SSD, and DP just sails with loading and playback. Very snappy.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You cannot go backwards on an OS without erasing and reformatting the drive.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

mikehalloran wrote:You cannot go backwards on an OS without erasing and reformatting the drive.
Thanks, yes, was reviewing the High Sierra thread/sticky on GS as well and realized that High Sierra introduces a new drive format. Given there's no real timetable for UAD, MOTU, whatever to get fully HS compliant I think I may well just clone, reformat, Migrate, rinse, lather, repeat.

Some of my authorization issues on the new drive may have come from the fact that it was Migrated from my laptop, perhaps there will be less of that by duping the current SSD drive and reinstalling.

Question of the day, though: if I clone my SSD drive HS onto an external drive, would that reformat the external drive to HS and it's new format? At the moment that drive still has the cloned laptop info/Sierra. If so, perhaps I should just boot in that external drive, erase all I can, and Migrate the SSD instead of cloning? Although I don't know if there would be conflicts between the residual data and the new Migrated data from the SSD.

Then step two would be to reformat the SSD and Migrate from the external drive. Of course, if all that is successful, then I clone the downgraded SSD back to the external drive.

Whew! Opinions?