Importing multiple audio files into DP 5.13 all at the same

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Importing multiple audio files into DP 5.13 all at the s

Post by buzzsmith »

In my case, I started with a template and deleted every existing track. In other words, the Tracks window contained nothing except the Conductor track. It seemed to not work well if there was an existing audio track.

Then I dragged all of the (now properly named) tracks from a folder on the desktop to the gray area in the Tracks window.

For me, that worked.

DP created the tracks with the files' names.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

kemccarthy1

Post by kemccarthy1 »

buzzsmith wrote:In my case, I started with a template and deleted every existing track. In other words, the Tracks window contained nothing except the Conductor track. It seemed to not work well if there was an existing audio track.

Then I dragged all of the (now properly named) tracks from a folder on the desktop to the gray area in the Tracks window.

For me, that worked.

DP created the tracks with the files' names.

Buzzy
Thanks, Buzzy. I've been trying to import these using an Empty template, in other words a project with no tracks other than Conductor just like you described. As I mentioned, when I drag and drop these wav files, the tracks are created with their, the tracks match the files in being either mono or stereo as applicable, and soundbites are created for each one. However, none of the audio content is in the tracks themselves.

The only way I am able to actually get a real audio track is to manually create an empty track for each file then drag and drop each file individually into the corresponding track making sure to line up the beginning of the file into the track to guarantee everything is timed correctly.

It might have to do with the specific wav files I've been trying to import because with other files I've often been successful but there is no indication I can see about these specific files that differ from the others, at least as far as OSX will reveal on a Get Info box.
iMac (Retina 5K, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 running 10.13.6 / 64GB RAM 2400 MHz DDR4/ DP 9.52 / Cubase 10.0.15 / UAD Apollo x8p / MOTU 828es / MOTU 8pre / Mackie 1604VLZ4 / Yamaha S80
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Crazy thought, but can you select a track after the import and right click and see if you can open in the Event List view? I'm probably way off on this, but I'm wondering if somehow your WAV files are timestamped with a time that is very different from your Chunk start time. Maybe the WAV files are on the track but an hour later on the timeline???

Again... just a guess. I'm shooting from the hip.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

James Steele wrote:Crazy thought, but can you select a track after the import and right click and see if you can open in the Event List view? I'm probably way off on this, but I'm wondering if somehow your WAV files are timestamped with a time that is very different from your Chunk start time. Maybe the WAV files are on the track but an hour later on the timeline???

Again... just a guess. I'm shooting from the hip.
Very good guess, if nothing else!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

frankf

Post by frankf »

Also check the sequence start times. If the sound bites you drag in have have time stamps that are wildly different from the sequence start time, they could be in the track but in a very different location. Or they may not show if they are very early. This can happen if, for example, the sequence starts at 01:00:00:00 and the sound bite time stamp is 00:00:00:00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I guess Frank and I both think this a possibility. Two votes for sound bite time stamp issue.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
frankf

Post by frankf »

Oh boy James, I didn't read your earlier post carefully. Apologies. But at least we had the same thought :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

frankf wrote:Oh boy James, I didn't read your earlier post carefully. Apologies. But at least we had the same thought :)
Hahaha... no apologies needed!! Great minds think alike! I look forward to hearing from the OP to find out if we got lucky and solved this mystery! :)

kemccarthy1

Post by kemccarthy1 »

And the winning suggestion is tied between James and Frank - I guess James kinda wins since his post timestamp precedes. Wish I had more to give you guys than a sincere appreciation. Maybe Karma will supply you somehow. :-)
Thanks guys, the time was indeed 1 hour off! I looked and lo and behold there's the audio content. Is this an issue with importing files from ProTools or Cubase or Logic that you've experienced? I don't know exactly where these wav files came from but highly suspect they're from one of those DAWs.
Hope I can be of assistance in the future. And thanks again!
iMac (Retina 5K, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 running 10.13.6 / 64GB RAM 2400 MHz DDR4/ DP 9.52 / Cubase 10.0.15 / UAD Apollo x8p / MOTU 828es / MOTU 8pre / Mackie 1604VLZ4 / Yamaha S80
rand

Post by rand »

"A few years late, but it may help someone Googling."

Thank you Buzzsmith. This solved my 9.51 problem today.

I had 72 files to import and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't get added to the Soundbite window as a group.

-Rand
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

rand wrote:"A few years late, but it may help someone Googling."

Thank you Buzzsmith. This solved my 9.51 problem today.

I had 72 files to import and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't get added to the Soundbite window as a group.

-Rand
Glad to be of help!

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)