Resonant Undertones

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
guitardood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Resonant Undertones

Post by guitardood »

Don't know if it's a good solution, but one I used was Melodyne.

I had a guitar solo which had some weird low undertones on a few sustained notes. What I did to clear them up was to load the track into Melodyne polyphonic mode, located the undertones and pulled the volume way down on them until the notes sounded natural. Just deleting them kind of ruined the sound, but lowering the level of just those undertones helped save an otherwise great take.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Rick, this is admittedly a kind of lame suggestion, but of course I'll post it anyway. I have found various high-pass functions of different EQ's to sound pretty different from each other. Not sure how much of that is the curve itself or just part of inherent 'character' of the EQ/phase anomalies etc. I have a couple I tend to lean toward and MWEQ isn't one of them. I mostly use UA's Harrison EQ for that and lately PSP McQ which is an MCI console EQ emulation. It's worth trying different ones at different settings but may not solve your specific issue of course. My wife's Moog Sub 37 that we use for bass has a ridiculous amount of low end so I've gotten to know my high-passes pretty well.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

philbrown wrote:Rick, this is admittedly a kind of lame suggestion, but of course I'll post it anyway. I have found various high-pass functions of different EQ's to sound pretty different from each other. Not sure how much of that is the curve itself or just part of inherent 'character' of the EQ/phase anomalies etc. I have a couple I tend to lean toward and MWEQ isn't one of them. I mostly use UA's Harrison EQ for that and lately PSP McQ which is an MCI console EQ emulation. It's worth trying different ones at different settings but may not solve your specific issue of course. My wife's Moog Sub 37 that we use for bass has a ridiculous amount of low end so I've gotten to know my high-passes pretty well.
Thanks, Phil. Going to give it a try. This one is a bugger.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

In case the undertones are loud enough, you may try to *see* them in RX6 Spectral Repair.
If you do *see* them, then deleting them is a breeze.
BTW it will bring no audible artefacts.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

daniel.sneed wrote:In case the undertones are loud enough, you may try to *see* them in RX6 Spectral Repair.
If you do *see* them, then deleting them is a breeze.
BTW it will bring no audible artefacts.
Hi Dan.....
Thanks for the note. I did bring it into RX6, and was able to see the low fundamental of the tone and first overtone, but I couldn't get the other overtones out without compromising the sound. Maybe I need to work harder on this.

I've tried everything I can think of to remove vibrations from the guitar (tightened everything, felt under the pickguard, etc.) and it still happens. The most noticeable artifacts are when I play a high triad on the highest strings that contains a major second:
• G (3rd string/12th fret)
• C (2nd string/13th fret)
• D (1st string/10th fret)

The undertone that's produced is around C2 (65.41Hz) with a strong overtone at C3 (130.81Hz). There is also some low distortion happening, which I'm still trying to chase. This is all very subtle on first listen, but after a while, it's all I hear. Frustrating. :deadhorse:
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Do you hear this tone when simply playing the guitar, or only in the recording?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Gravity Jim wrote:Do you hear this tone when simply playing the guitar, or only in the recording?
Hi JIm—I can hear it acoustically (however subtly, as my HR Fusion III isn't really an "acoustic" guitar). I've tried tightening down all the parts (pickguard, etc.), but—short of damping all the (admittedly minimal) acoustic properties of the instrument, I can't defeat it.
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Re: Resonant Undertones (Now Understood, Still Not Solved)

Post by Rick Cornish »

OK—Today I came across a new video by Adam Neely (who, if you aren't familiar, has a video blog on YouTube where he discusses all kinds of interesting and occasionally weird musical stuff).

In his blog post, "The Third Sound," Adam identifies the source of the sounds I've been hearing: They are "Combination Tones" or "Tartini Tones"… also known as "Otoacoustic Emissions." It's a weird psychoacoustic phenomenon explained pretty well by Adam here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_CiAYX00k

I still haven't figured out how to get rid of them (or even if that's possible), but this is a start. Interesting stuff.
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Cornish

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Fascinating video. I had always assumed that those tones were the result of "beats" at high rates to form pitches. Was he suggesting it might be something else, too?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

He hit the nail on the head when he said, "Is there a metaphor you can use to over simplify things so I can understand it?" He did some of that in this video. I studied some of this stuff when I was teaching at an engineering school and setting up an audio program there. It's not as psychoacoustic as he suggests. A lot of it is pure physics and the answers are buried in the math (which he really didn't get into). The bit about the ear producing its own sound is a real physical phenomenon (more math). It happens in the ear (not in the brain)... And it can happen in Rick's guitar too. Just sayin'. 8)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying psychoacoustics doesn't exist. Im just saying I think Rick's problem is purely physics.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.