Music for Bladerunner 2049

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Music for Bladerunner 2049

Post by buzzsmith »

I haven't seen the film, yet, but I found this interesting.

http://www.factmag.com/2017/10/20/hans- ... interview/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Music for Bladerunner 2049

Post by terrybritton »

Wonderful in the movie theater, and fantastic on headphones as well. That is one of my favorite soundtracks in years. Not available as a CD yet, but it has been released to YouTube and Google Play. I'll be buying this one, though, when it comes out!

Thanks for the link!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I loved the score. The theater I was in had it cranked so loudly that it was really too loud at times. In a weird way, that enhanced the movie and I didn’t mind at all — even if others were holding their ears.

It’s the most impressive original score I’ve heard in years.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I look forward to seeing the movie and hearing the score. I've been waiting for Bladerunner 2049 to come out.

Meanwhile, another movie whose score impressed me was Wonder Woman. In fact, the entire movie impressed me, and while I surely did gain a crush for Gal Gadot, the star, and she was —oh-so-beautiful— in the costume, it was much more than that. It's really a good movie; very moving. Not what I'd expected.

Another very moving movie I saw recently (for the first time, believe it or not) was The Deer Hunter from the 1970s. And the score has stuck with me. Beautiful music.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I really want to see this movie. Maybe I'll hit up a matinee soon before it leaves theaters. Sadly, I hear it's not been performing well at the box office. The original was a classic.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

I love the score as well... a great 'sonic experience' when heard in a good theater.

The composer (with Hans Zimmer listed as synth programmer) did a super job, and real justice to the original; yet moving it into today's synth territory as well.

I'm so glad it wasn't just another score where the director said "Just give me another score that sounds like something Hans Zimmer would have done in Batman".

I bet Zimmer was thrilled as well, in not having to repeat himself.

It was refreshing to hear real synths in all their glory and possibility, as opposed to someone just using more string ostinatos that could have just as well been played from one-of-many software sampled libraries.

So...Hans Zimmer comes through once again!

Bravo to him for continually trying to come up with something new and interesting...yet keeping in real service to the movie and story.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

James Steele wrote:I really want to see this movie. Maybe I'll hit up a matinee soon before it leaves theaters. Sadly, I hear it's not been performing well at the box office. The original was a classic.
I'm in the same boat, james...haven't had time to go see it, and now I think it's probably going to leave theatres soon.

It's still playing at the ArcLight Sherman Oaks Galleria in Sherman Oaks. But not for long is my guess. I'm
probably gonna miss it too. But the Blu-Ray DVD release can't be far off, I'll get it then.

I've read different reviews of the soundtrack. Some folks love the soundtrack, others are pissed that it
doesn't have a Yamaha CS80 synth in it and isn't "Vangelis-ish" enough. I think it likely does have a CS80 or virtual CS80 (like Arturia's) in there somewhere.

As for the reviews of the movie itself, most that I have read have not been kind. But I'll wait and see it for myself to decide.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Saw it in 3D, blown away by the movie and the ST.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang