Autosave question...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Robb Scott
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Autosave question...

Post by Robb Scott »

Just wondering: I've got Autosave set for 9 minutes (so it will Autosave 1 minute before the screensaver kicks in. "Screensaver?", you say, "what is this, 1993?" Hey, old habits die hard...)...

Anyways, I got wondering, does DP Autosave wait for any sort of Idle period? Or will it just do it's thing, even if I'm playing back or recording?

DP 9.5, El Cappy...
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
The One True Robb
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Phil O

Re: Autosave question...

Post by Phil O »

I seem to recall when MOTU first added autosave to DP there was some mention of it waiting for an idle period. I don't see this mentioned in the current manual, though. I have mine set for 2 minutes and it never seems to get in the way of anything. In fact, I never even know when it's doing its thing. Seems pretty seamless.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Unless it's changed, auto save will not activate while recording or playing back, at least that's how I remember the function. I never use auto save in any app. It has created more problems and I hit cmd-s every few minutes by instinct.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:and I hit cmd-s every few minutes by instinct.
Agreed :wink:
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Auto Save has saved me on several occasions. I typically save often, but occasionally, in the heat of the creative moment, forget. And though crashes are rare, they always seem to come at exactly the wrong time. I have DP set to auto save every 10 minutes.

The only time I notice Auto Save is when there is a short delay in DP's response when I push play. And when I (happily) am able to restore work that would otherwise have been lost.