Cutting MIDI notes with a tool

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cutting MIDI notes with a tool

Post by Timeline »

Lets say I played 4 bars holding a common note in a chord but now want to use a tool like a razor blade to split the whole note in two like we can do with audio. I know how to do this manually with MIDI, create a copy of the note but is there a tool which just cuts a MIDI note in two without the extra messing about duplicating a note etc.? Is there a tool for this?
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Tritonemusic

Re: Cutting MIDI notes with a tool

Post by Tritonemusic »

I don't quite understand why you'd have to make a copy first. I use the I-Beam tool to select the spot I want to split, then click Command-Y (Split).

Actually, that would affect the entire chord. If you want to just split a single note, simply use the Scissors Tool.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

What Tritonemusic said.

A very neat trick with the scissor tool is that, if you set your grid to any value, and swipe across the MIDI note with this tool, you'll get instant subdivisions of the cut note matching the grid setting.
So set it to say, 16th notes, and click/swipe across a MIDI note> Instant 16th notes! :unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Great, scissors tool. Thats cool thanks
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2