Octopre le vs. Digimax lt

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
jmoore
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Octopre le vs. Digimax lt

Post by jmoore »

It looks like both the features and the prices are pretty much identical once you add the $200 digital i/o card to the octopre, so I'd love to know if anyone has had any experience with either (preferably both) of these boxes. I'm not looking for bells and whistles, just good clean preamps. This will be used for tracking drums. The mics that will primarily be used with this are an Audix D6, Yamaha SubKick, Beta 57, AKG 451, (2) Rode NT1A's, and (3) Beta 98's.

Any input is very much appreciated!

-jordan
"You must unlearn what you have learned"

-Yoda
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Jodan,

Those that know me know I'm a HUGE Focusrite fan (I own a Red1, Red8, an ISA428, (3) Liquid Channels, and used to own a pair of ISA430mkII's....yeah...that qualifies! ha!).... Although I've never owned anything in the Platinum Range, I've worked with it quite a bit and know the Presonus and the Focusrite well. The OctopreLE isn't as good as the full Octopre, but even then the Octopre and the DigimaxLT are quite different. The pres on the Presonus are more "transparent" where the Octopre has some slight coloration. IMHO, I would consider the DigimaxLT because the pres are better. HOWEVER you should really consider spending another few hundred dollars on the Octopre with the ADAT card because of the basic compression which is ideal for tracking drums.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
jmoore

Post by jmoore »

Thanks for the input, Brad. We picked up a Digimax LT at Guitar Center yesterday for $650. I'm afraid that we just didn't have the budget for the full blown Octopre, although I'm sure it's great. My first reaction to the Digimax LT is that the preamps sound really clean (no noticeable coloration) and have a ton of headroom.

Thanks again,

-jordan
"You must unlearn what you have learned"

-Yoda
Eternal Dream Records

M80 Pre amp VS Focusrite ISA?

Post by Eternal Dream Records »

Hi Brad, what do you think ablut the M80?? compare to Focusrite?? i know Focusrite are very good, but it's color that we are taking and different taste?
Yamaha 02R96 Version 2
MAC Quad 2.5
BIG BEN
828MK2
2408MK3