9.5 Bug?: Enabling Record Causes Fader to moves to 0

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
nikkicm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

9.5 Bug?: Enabling Record Causes Fader to moves to 0

Post by nikkicm »

Is anyone else encountering a possible bug after upgrading to 9.5? When I enable record on a track, the fader slides to 0. There is no automation on the tracks, and nothing is muted. I tried inserting volume on the MIDI sequences for the tracks, but when I play the controller, the fader goes back to 0 (this is also true if I increase the volume on the fader).

I've tried restarting DP, as well as my computer. I'm running a 16GB, 2.6GHz Mac, and I use both Kontakt and East/West plug-ins. Really appreciative of any suggestions.
cuttime

Re: 9.5 Bug?: Enabling Record Causes Fader to moves to 0

Post by cuttime »

Not seeing this here. Could it possibly be related to Event Chasing? I have "All Except" volume selected.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'd also check all your tracks in the event list to make sure there isn't data being sent. I'm not seeing your problem either.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
nikkicm

Post by nikkicm »

I'm a fairly new DP user. I've got the Event List open, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the list. All my tracks are MIDI, no audio.
nikkicm

Post by nikkicm »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'd also check all your tracks in the event list to make sure there isn't data being sent. I'm not seeing your problem either.
I'm a fairly new DP user. I've got the Event List open, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the list. All my tracks are MIDI, no audio.
nikkicm

Post by nikkicm »

cuttime wrote:Not seeing this here. Could it possibly be related to Event Chasing? I have "All Except" volume selected.
Hmm, doesn't seem to solve the problem. Thank you for the suggestion.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You are looking for controller #7 or possibly #11 (often sent by MIDI controllers instead of #7). 7= volume; 11=expression.

Another thing to troubleshoot is to turn off automation. That will prevent the control change from happening and you can at least see if that's what is going on.

You can also see it in the MIDI editor window. I'd suggest changing the view to LINES so more easily determine if there's a controller data point that is causing the problem.

If you want to send me the file to look at I can do that but it should be pretty simple to fix. Should be...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

nikkicm wrote:Is anyone else encountering a possible bug after upgrading to 9.5? When I enable record on a track, the fader slides to 0. There is no automation on the tracks, and nothing is muted. I tried inserting volume on the MIDI sequences for the tracks, but when I play the controller, the fader goes back to 0 (this is also true if I increase the volume on the fader).

I've tried restarting DP, as well as my computer. I'm running a 16GB, 2.6GHz Mac, and I use both Kontakt and East/West plug-ins. Really appreciative of any suggestions.
Not happening here. Any chance you have a keyboard controller or other control surface that is stuck or outputting a volume message?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nikkicm

Post by nikkicm »

James Steele wrote:
nikkicm wrote:Is anyone else encountering a possible bug after upgrading to 9.5? When I enable record on a track, the fader slides to 0. There is no automation on the tracks, and nothing is muted. I tried inserting volume on the MIDI sequences for the tracks, but when I play the controller, the fader goes back to 0 (this is also true if I increase the volume on the fader).

Not happening here. Any chance you have a keyboard controller or other control surface that is stuck or outputting a volume message?

YES! Thank you. I unplugged the controller, downloaded a new driver, restarted, and it appears to be fine now. Thank you for the help!
nikkicm

Post by nikkicm »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You are looking for controller #7 or possibly #11 (often sent by MIDI controllers instead of #7). 7= volume; 11=expression.

Another thing to troubleshoot is to turn off automation. That will prevent the control change from happening and you can at least see if that's what is going on.

You can also see it in the MIDI editor window. I'd suggest changing the view to LINES so more easily determine if there's a controller data point that is causing the problem.

If you want to send me the file to look at I can do that but it should be pretty simple to fix. Should be...
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me understand what to look for here. :)
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Can you mark this thread "Resolved"?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com