DP 9.5 IS NOW UP!!! :)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 9.5 IS NOW UP!!! :)

Post by JSmith1234567 »

dix wrote:
Do we have now a global option to run them in real time by default, or that hasn't changed?
No change. No global run-plugins-real-time setting.
Bummer!

That was the ONE thing I was waiting for.

Guess I'll stick with 9.03.

Why they can't fix this is beyond me?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

RodneySauer wrote:
Klaus wrote:Lazy me... :mrgreen:
Has anyone compared the new time/pitch to Melodyne 4 ?
esp. the ability to do it with multiple tracks ?
I don't have Melodyne, but DP 9.5 does work with a selection of multiple tracks, though it loses cross-fades (see my post above).
I've done some time/pitch with IRCAM and Melodyne and found IRCAM worked better, even with changes in the 10% range. Do you think the Zynaptic algorithms worked better for you than IRCAM?

On crossfades, I found (in 9.5) edits that changed the relative position of the soundbytes, might make fades and cross fades disappear. I can see why cross fades, which are bassed in part on the overlap would be affected, but don't understand why simple fades would be affected. In most cases, I wanted to redo the fades anyway so it's not a big issue for me.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

bayswater wrote:
RodneySauer wrote:
Klaus wrote:Lazy me... :mrgreen:
Has anyone compared the new time/pitch to Melodyne 4 ?
esp. the ability to do it with multiple tracks ?
I don't have Melodyne, but DP 9.5 does work with a selection of multiple tracks, though it loses cross-fades (see my post above).
I've done some time/pitch with IRCAM and Melodyne and found IRCAM worked better, even with changes in the 10% range. Do you think the Zynaptic algorithms worked better for you than IRCAM?

On crossfades, I found (in 9.5) edits that changed the relative position of the soundbytes, might make fades and cross fades disappear. I can see why cross fades, which are bassed in part on the overlap would be affected, but don't understand why simple fades would be affected. In most cases, I wanted to redo the fades anyway so it's not a big issue for me.
Does IRCAM multitrack ?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Klaus wrote: Does IRCAM multitrack ?
Don't know, they might have a product that does. I used it on a two track recording to change key and tempo for someone that wanted to add new tracks. Worked well for that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

Klaus wrote: Does IRCAM multitrack ?
I was using the IRCAM algorithms included in MachFive, which only works on stereo files. I don't have the stand-alone IRCAM program.

Another cool thing about the DP 9.5 scaling is that you can apply it with a tempo-change ramp, so you can change tempos gradually, or in just part of a piece, with gradual transitions. I saw it on their demo video, but I'm going to have to learn how to actually accomplish it...
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
bralston

Post by bralston »

I would also encourage folks with the pitch shifting to try out both the formant correcting ZTX one and the standard ZTX. Don't assume the formant correcting one is best for everything or vise versa. The ZTX standard will probably do better on stereo polyphonic stuff (say an orchestral recording already mixed)...just really depends on the material though. But it is an easy thing to switch and try soundbite by soundbite. ;)
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Haven't had time to experiment with ZTX yet, but the Effects Performance window is already my new favorite thing about DP. One of those things that, when you see it, it makes you think, "Why didn't it always do that?"
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

bralston wrote:I would also encourage folks with the pitch shifting to try out both the formant correcting ZTX one and the standard ZTX. Don't assume the formant correcting one is best for everything or vise versa. The ZTX standard will probably do better on stereo polyphonic stuff (say an orchestral recording already mixed)...just really depends on the material though. But it is an easy thing to switch and try soundbite by soundbite. ;)
And no, there doesn't seem to be a universal preference setting to decide what kind of ZTX you want to use (formant correcting or standard). Open the Soundbites window. Select the bites you're interested in (or select one then press command-A to select all). On the contextual menu (control-click to reveal it) choose Sound File Information. (Somehow, that command is not on the popup menu of the Soundbites menu, just the contextual menu and the main "Studio" menu). There's an item in the Sound File Information menu called "Transpose," and that's where you can select how you want transposing handled. There are also some popup menus with presets for "ZTX Pitch Play Quality" and "ZTX Offline Quality," but I can't find any information about what those settings mean...
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com
dix

Post by dix »

And no, there doesn't seem to be a universal preference setting to decide what kind of ZTX you want to use (formant correcting or standard).
Preferences > Audio Options > Default Transpose Mode For New Soundbites
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

Thanks!
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Maybe I missed links…
are there any videos around about how to use the new time/pitch in DP 9.5 ?
Thanks
Klaus
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Holy f^ck! Where have I been? I come up for air and it's Christmastime in September!

Can't wait to open my present!

Is this the first time we've seen a x.5 update?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Babz wrote:Holy f^ck! Where have I been? I come up for air and it's Christmastime in September!

Can't wait to open my present!

Is this the first time we've seen a x.5 update?
Since 4.5, if I recall correctly.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

RodneySauer wrote:Start at the source: the MOTU announcement and its associated videos.
Thanks Rodney !
Sorry not having mentioned...I was looking for multitrack manipulation videos…

Klaus