How can I play MIDI files from Safari, i.e. Wikipedia?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How can I play MIDI files from Safari, i.e. Wikipedia?

Post by FMiguelez »

I remember I used to be able to play MIDI files right from Safari a long time ago. Now, all it does is give me the option to download the file, but I don't want that. I just want to click and listen, like before (the last thing I want to do when reading an article is to download an ugly MIDI file and open DP to play it).

I have searched, but nothing useful comes up. Does anyone know how to make it work again? Perhaps with a Safari plugin I don't know about?

Thank you.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tonio

Re: How can I play MIDI files from Safari, i.e. Wikipedia?

Post by Tonio »

Nando,
I think you need to get the quicktime plug in extension for Safari.

Does it try to play, or only a download option.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Tonio wrote:Nando,

Officially (whatever that really means) QT is dead as an internet standard and Safari updates are supposed to kill it by default. These are some browser plugs that should still make it work. Last time I looked at this, it was simply reenabling som plugs that were already there. Safari is not my default so I rarely use it anymore.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Tonio wrote:Nando,

Hi, Tonio.
I have QT 7 Pro and the regular QT installed, but if I go to Safari>Help>Installed-Plugins, nothing related to QT shows up.

I've been doing some research, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on how to fix this.
mikehalloran wrote: Officially (whatever that really means) QT is dead as an internet standard and Safari updates are supposed to kill it by default. These are some browser plugs that should still make it work. Last time I looked at this, it was simply reenabling som plugs that were already there. Safari is not my default so I rarely use it anymore.
Where would I reenable plugins that could be already there?

I'll try playing MIDI files from a different browser. If the solution is as easy as that, I'd be able to live with using Firefox or Chrome when I need to play MIDI...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The plugs aren't in the browser.

This is what I was trying to remember:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205081

I just did it again and it worked. The last time, I think I was on Mavericks.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro