DP stuck at "play" green arrow. Beachballing

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP stuck at "play" green arrow. Beachballing

Post by wonder »

I'm working on a project and all of the sudden, when I hit PLAY or RECORD it will beachball. When its done beach balling, the green play arrow will be enabled but its not playing back any audio.

I will hit the STOP button manually and the green arrow will turn off but it will beachball.

It won't playback from then on.

I Force Quit, restart...and it'll work for a few minutes and then the same thing.

ANY suggestions? this just started happening and I was on a roll in this scoring session.

All I'm using is 2 instances of Omnisphere. No plugins on any tracks. I'm playing back a movie file as I'm scoring. Otherwise, the session is bare.

DP9.13

OS 10.11.6

I have a couple screenshots of the console but I can't see anything that makes sense. ANY help is appreciated.

Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
wonder

Re: DP stuck at "play" green arrow. Beachballing

Post by wonder »

The only thing I see that looks suspicious is

9/11/17 8:06:32.652 PM WindowServer[237]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Digital Performer" after 16.18 seconds [0.06fps] (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds [1.00fps])

I have that message a FEW times in the Console when searching for "Perfomer".

Also, there is no Crash report for DP anywhere.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

There's a way to temporarily bypass MOTU's built-in crash reporter that sends reports to MOTU so that the crash report will be generated and saved to your hard disc and you can look at it in a text editor. See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=61817
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
wonder

Post by wonder »

Motu's not crashing. i have to Force Quit. I did implement that terminal command as stated in the thread but that didn't create any Motu Crash Reports.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Do you reboot daily? Do you have App Nap disabled? Are any other applications open?

You might want to read the recent El Capitan thread to see if anything applies.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

wonder wrote:Motu's not crashing. i have to Force Quit. I did implement that terminal command as stated in the thread but that didn't create any Motu Crash Reports.
Oh right... sorry... if you have to Force Quit, rather than a crash, then yes, it may not generate one.

What you can do is take a process sample while it's stuck like that. The way you do it, is while DP is in the stuck state, launch Activity Monitor. You should see Digital Performer in the list of processes. Highlight that, then click "Sample Process" at the top of the window. It will then open a new window with some code in it that may or may not be mean anything, unless you're a developer. But you might get lucky and see a hint about what might be going on.

Good luck!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
wonder

Post by wonder »

I was on a ROLL with this project and this beach balling set me back 2 hours. :evil: :evil: :evil:

The issue, for whatever reason, was having 2 instances of Omnisphere open. I disabled one of them and it ran without hassle.

This has never happened before when I have multiple instances of Omnisphere open.

I'll report back if I find anything else out.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Do you have the latest DP 9.13 update from our downloads page?

Do you have any audio tracks in the sequence?

What type of work are you doing? MIDI editing? Audio editing?

Dave
wonder

Post by wonder »

As stated in the first post, I'm on 9.13.

There is no audio running save the audio from the QuickTime video scene.

There no plugins running.

I'm ONLY working with MIDI tracks.
magicd

Post by magicd »

PM sent

Dave
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

wonder wrote:As stated in the first post, I'm on 9.13.
Right. But what Magic Dave might have been getting at is there was a "silent update" of DP 9.13 a while back. The version number did not change, but it was a newer build. So, depending on how long ago you originally installed 9.13, you might not have the latest build of 9.13 that had a couple fixes added.

You can probably tell by launching your current DP 9.13 and then when the splash screen pops up, write down the build number that appears in the info about the app. Then download 9.13 again from MOTU's site and install (being sure to turn off App Nap afterward) and launch again and see if the build number is different.

FWIW, 9.5 is released today, so you might want to re-name your current DP to "Digital Performer 9.13" (so the 9.5 installer won't overwrite it) and then install DP 9.5. You can have both versions installed at the same time this way in case you want to go back to 9.13.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

and then when the splash screen pops up
You see a splash screen? Ok...

I can make it appear only by calling About Digital Performer. The build I am showing is 9.13 72621
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
and then when the splash screen pops up
You see a splash screen? Ok...

I can make it appear only by calling About Digital Performer. The build I am showing is 9.13 72621
Yep. I get one on launch. Some people don't. But yeah, do the "About" thing and you can see it that way. As I recall there was a silent update to DP 9.13 and so if some folks downloaded it before a certain date it might be an earlier build.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:The build I am showing is 9.13 72621
That's the same one I have. That is the newest one. Can't remember what the previous one was and I didn't keep that version of 9.13 anywhere.

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

wonder wrote:I was on a ROLL with this project and this beach balling set me back 2 hours. :evil: :evil: :evil:

The issue, for whatever reason, was having 2 instances of Omnisphere open. I disabled one of them and it ran without hassle.

This has never happened before when I have multiple instances of Omnisphere open.

I'll report back if I find anything else out.
Then it is related to Omnisphere. That VI is one of the worst CPU hogs on the planet. I never have more than one instance open and running.

Solution - record the MIDI for the first Omnisphere part. Then record it to an audio track. Then
select your next Omnispher patch, record the MIDI for that, then record that as audio. Move on to the third - etc. etc.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com