828 mk3 FW not detected in osx 10.5

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jiglo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 mk3 FW not detected in osx 10.5

Post by jiglo »

Hello, i'm a new Motu user. I purchased a used 828 mk3 FW off ebay and i've been unable to use it on either of my computers as neither can detect it and therefore I can't set it up.

I have an imac 27 2011 and a Macbook pro 15, also from 2011 and they are both running Yosemite 10.5.

I've downloaded the latest audio installer from Motu's website on both my Macs, but i'm unable to open the software Cuemix program. The interface itself seems to boot up properly, (at least visually when I turn on the switch on the interface) and it's flashed to the latest version.

Ive tried everything on this troubleshooting list (apart from testing it when not connected to a computer) http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... -interface.

So, I've tried 2x different Firewire cables
I've tried both ports on the interface
I've tried connecting it to 2 different Macs
I've tested the Firewire ports on each Mac with a firewire hard drive

I'm stumped, so if anybody can help, then please do.
mikehalloran

Re: 828 mk3 FW not detected in osx 10.5

Post by mikehalloran »

OK, running OS 10.10.5.

Have you tried downloading the latest drivers from MOTU? You want MOTU Audio Installer, not MOTU Pro Audio Installer. If also planning to use MIDI, you want the MOTU MIDI Installer.
http://motu.com/download

Here's how to reset the unit to its factory defaults:
http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset

I strongly recommend using a direct FireWire connection. Do not use a hub.

Does the interface show up in Apple's Audio MIDI Setup.app? If not, your machine is not seeing it. If there but the icon is greyed out, delete it and see if it comes back to life — I had that happen recently.

If you have a diagnostic tool such as TechTool Pro, you will be able to see if the FW ports are active. You can also see in About This Mac/System Report under the Apple menu.

If the FW port doesn't show connected devices, reset the NV RAM — this will reset the ports to factory defaults. I have had them go down after connecting my 828 via a FW hub. One time (with Apple Support on the phone) I had to reset the NV RAM three times before the FW ports woke up again.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

If, after all this, you aren't seeing it in Audio MIDI Setup.app, there's a possibility that the unit is defective. MOTU support has ways of testing this and I would call them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jiglo

Post by jiglo »

Hi Mike.

Some fantastic advice, thank you. I've tried all apart from resetting the device and also downloading the MIDI installer (until the device is working), but i'm reluctant to reset to factory settings unless I enter into an ebay dispute and the seller agrees to it. From your highly informative post though it looks to be the only option left.

Once again, thank you.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You're welcome.
but i'm reluctant to reset to factory settings unless I enter into an ebay dispute and the seller agrees to it.
The seller should have done that before shipping the unit. What I gave you was a basic diagnostic check list — resetting to factory specs is always going to be on such a list.

That should not affect a return dispute other than show you did due diligence in trying to make it work. Same goes for a trouble-shooting call to MOTU.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jiglo

Post by jiglo »

Thanks once again Mike.

I did the factory reset as outlined on the Motu site that you provided the link for and everything went along as stated on the Motu site. I was expecting the interface to change from Version 1.06 to 1.0 though and this did not happen as it's still showing Version 1.06.

Presumable that means that it was sold originally with that Bios version then, or maybe the factory resetting only changes user defined parameters but not the bios?

It hasn't made the device visible on my imac anyway, sadly, so it looks like a return. I think it's the only full sized audio interface that would fit on my desk sadly thanks to the 7" depth, so it looks like i'm resigned to a compromise of inputs and outputs unless I try another perhaps later model unit.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I was expecting the interface to change from Version 1.06 to 1.0 though and this did not happen as it's still showing Version 1.06.
That's the firmware. Resetting to factory specs will never change that. It's set at the factory although some units have updates available — let's see about yours.

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/firmware
http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/firmwarechangelog

Per the above, the firmware is upgradeable, however 1.06 is the current version so that is fine. As this unit has been discontinued (7 years ago?), don't expect future firmware updates.

Yes, your unit may be defective. I would still call MOTU to confirm.

There are two current versions of the 828. One is the 828mkIII Hybrid (FW and USB) and the other is the 828x (Thunderbolt and USB). With Intel Macs, although FireWire can still be made to work, USB is better.
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

Maybe it's the cable. I had a problem with my 896 being recognized, via a 10' long premium FW800-FW800 cable I had just bought.

I substituted a shorter cable, and that worked...Sometimes the long cable worked when I plugged into the other FW port on the MOTU. I think it's possible on used units that the FW jack on the interface is a little worn out, and the FW800 contacts seems so microscopic compared to others. I never had problems with FW400 cables.

And FireWire is such a minority format now, that maybe the cable makers are getting sloppy, even if you bought a new cable like I did.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12