motu 828 mk3 main 1-2 problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
hashwood
Primary DAW OS: Windows

motu 828 mk3 main 1-2 problem

Post by hashwood »

Hello,

I recently have a motu 828 mk3 hybrid interface. I am using windows 10 64 bit, and I have the following problem.

After I install the drivers, I set the main windows interface to Motu Main Out 1-2. Everything works OK, sound from Youtube in browsers. I am also using winamp player and I select the Motu Main Out 1-2 and everything is OK.

But after I switch off the interface, two or three times, the main out 1-2 is not working anymore. In winamp it locks the cursor bar and the music is not played. Also the windows audio doesn't work anymore.

If I select other output like Motu Analog 1-2 everything works (windows audio and winamp) but the sound is router on Analog 1-2 not on Main Out. Also if I use winamp on ASIO, it plays and I can hear sound on Main out.

I tried restart, restarting the interface and no success.

The only way I can make it work again is to remove the drivers and install them again, and then it works for 2-3 ON/OFF switches.

I am using firmware 1.01 and latest drivers. As a note, I am keeping my computer always ON, but I switch off and ON the interface.

What's wrong ? Can someone please help me ?
terrybritton

Re: motu 828 mk3 main 1-2 problem

Post by terrybritton »

First, I would check the Advanced tab for the specific MOTU Audio Wave 64-bit item in the Windows Audio control panel. (Main 1+2 in your case.) Look to see if it has set itself to some crazy sample rate setting that you aren't using.

I've found unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in again sometimes corrects for wonky behaviors.

However, I've given up entirely on using the MOTU Audio Wave for 64-bit drivers and have disabled them in my Device Manager. I now let Windows Audio items like browsers and media players communicate with my 828 mk3 hybrid (and my Ultralite mk3 hybrid on my other machine) using a donationware virtual mixer called Voicemeeter. (Yeah, funny name, but it is a miraculous piece of kit.) For media players and YouTube videos (both of which change sample rates often), Voicemeeter does sample-rate conversion on-the-fly, whereas the MOTU "MOTU Audio Wave for 64-bit" drivers do not (they grind gears for 3-5 seconds and switch the sample rate inside the box).

Actually, I mostly use Voicemeeter Pro "Banana", but it uses a bit more CPU if that is an issue for you. It includes inserts and other port mapping features. Both versions communicate with your 828 via ASIO for the best latency and sync. If you encounter sync problems, start your DAW first, then Voicemeeter.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have several videos on using Voicemeeter in this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... iTEnXHAtoV I am about to make a video on this very topic of dumping the MOTU drivers in favor of using Voicemeeter, in fact.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

If you are leaving your computer on all the time, why not leave the MOTU on, too?

In my case, I reboot my studio DAW every session. It takes just a few seconds starting up from SSD, and I know that I am starting my session with a clean slate, no memory leaks or random residual code running in the background.

A re-boot is often the simplest and most efficient way to resolve issues like this. Just sayin'.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
hashwood

Post by hashwood »

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I am not keeping it on because it gets a little hot sometimes. Anyone keeping it on all the time ?

It seems I found the solution, in motu audio console, I enabled Use WaveRT for Windows Audio. Now it works every time :)
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

hashwood wrote:Thanks a lot for your replies.

I am not keeping it on because it gets a little hot sometimes. Anyone keeping it on all the time ?

It seems I found the solution, in motu audio console, I enabled Use WaveRT for Windows Audio. Now it works every time :)
Good job!