Soniccouture releases new 88-key Rhodes Stage (1976)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Soniccouture releases new 88-key Rhodes Stage (1976)

Post by mhschmieder »

Yet another Rhodes library... but after regretting my switch to the new proprietary standalone version of Neo-Soul Keys, and resisting the new one from Scarbee, this one seems to be "the one".

Besides, as an Episcopalian, how can I resist a product name like "The Canterbury Suitcase"? :-)

http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products ... 20IT%20NOW

The demos are out-of-this-world. Lately, I have mostly been using the somewhat recent UVI Tines Collection as it is quite good overall and covers later Rhodes models that tend to be preferred by jazzers -- so I am using a lot of that on my jazz album as I like those warmer/cleaner tones.

This one, though, is the best one I've heard yet, in terms of 70's grit vs. the later 80's Rhodes sounds. I like both, but for different purposes.

The library is 30% off until 21 August. Pretty sure I'm going to buy this one.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Gravity Jim

Re: Soniccouture releases new 88-key Rhodes Stage (1976)

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm an EP VI fanatic, and will buy this during the 30% off thing. It looks to be super cool.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Yours truly did some of the presets, including "Dave's Dyno Rhodes" and "Straight Line Out",
along with the "Rhodes is Unplugged" preset in the "Experimental" bank.

Yes it really is a great Rhodes...easily on par with any of the Rhodes models in Keyscape, and far cheaper than Keyscape. Warm and "squishy" sounding, as great Suitcase Rhodes pianos were.

I highly recommend this product.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

David Polich wrote:Yours truly did some of the presets, including "Dave's Dyno Rhodes" and "Straight Line Out",
along with the "Rhodes is Unplugged" preset in the "Experimental" bank.

Yes it really is a great Rhodes...easily on par with any of the Rhodes models in Keyscape, and far cheaper than Keyscape. Warm and "squishy" sounding, as great Suitcase Rhodes pianos were.

I highly recommend this product.
I highly recommend everyone send Dave a thousand bucks..
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

waxman wrote: I highly recommend everyone send Dave a thousand bucks..
and cookies!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Having used the Soniccouture Clav a bit more last night, I'm pretty convinced that once that vendor does an instrument, it's game over (exception being piano, of course, which none of us will likely ever be 100% satisfied with until we reach the next plane of existence).

Their vibraphone is miraculous, but difficult to work with -- just like the real thing. :-) Every time I try another vendor's "easier to use" vibes library, I'm reminded that there are no shortcuts to getting a realistic vibe sound!

I don't use pre-80's Rhodes sounds much anymore, but I definitely plan to grab this library before the sale ends. Nothing else comes close to its realism. It's the only one where I keep thinking I'm listening to the actual original and wondering when the sample library will kick in for comparison. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
JMVideo

Post by JMVideo »

Whoa....I was expecting to be unimpressed, but this sounds really good! Much better than Keyscape imo, which is a little too clean for my tastes. Must... resist... the urge to purchase... *sigh*

Post by Gravity Jim »

This is the bomb dot com. I've been doing an A/B comparison to Waves' Electric 88 (which sounds pretty darn good), and I think SC's Canterbury Suitcase just buries it. Super nice, not too many blankety-blank parameter controls: just using a real Rhodes.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Game over.

This is The One!

Every note lives and breathes, and phrases sound cohesive and organic.

I only had time to try it on a few songs after my rehearsal last night, but I imagine by this weekend I will have replaced every Rhodes track on every active project with this library.

Up until now, I have struggled to get Rhodes to sit in the mix, or even sit atop it without drowning or muddying other instruments. This is a very flexible instrument and may well cover my Mark V needs as well.

mongoose

Post by mongoose »

Holy heck, this thing is a glorious beast! Really fun to play. I haven't spent much time with real-world Rhodeses (Rhodi? Rhodsae?), so I can't speak to "authenticity" here, but even if this sounded nothing like the real deal (I expect it does, though) it would be a great instrument.
Last edited by mongoose on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Woaw! Great and vibrant sound, to say the least.

Does the price listed (149 €) include the 30% off?
Or do you have to set any discount code?
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

You do need to enter a discount code, which is in the link provided above.
Jim Bordner

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As of this weekend, this library has kicked ALL of my other Rhodes libraries to the curb forever.

This one lives and breathes likes the real thing. So much more life to it, at ANY setting.

Does anyone know if anything reacts to CC1? I couldn't find that info in the manual or the GUI.

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Thanks, Jim. Got it.

Well, to my fingers and ears, this Rhodes is a living instrument.
Great job!

IMHO, introductory price is just right. Could not resist.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I was able to use Kontakt's own MIDI Learn feature to assign CC1 to the Tremolo Depth (Intensity) knob, but this appears to have already been programmed into some of the presets as well, unless my change is now global for all instances of Kontakt (I haven't used this feature much as I generally don't like hidden settings that aren't published in the GUI on each use).

EDIT: Nevermind; I used to do this more often before my eyes got worse and I stopped having such an easy time of reading GUI's in so many of my plug-ins. It's just that I typically didn't use MIDI Learn and instead used the MIDI Automation page (which I forgot was there). The settings to cross over presets, so those don't wipe the automation settings, which I thought they did.

It's too bad that Tremolo Rate can't be directly controlled, but I guess they emulate that indirectly via the drop-list for the pulse styles. Maybe that's how it was actually implemented anyway in the original Rhodes Suitcases, but I don't think I'd want a CC range of 1-127 to control a drop-list of eight or so choices; not intuitive enough as the patterns aren't necessarily progressively related.