Things I'd Like To See: (Sorry if this is repetitive)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Things I'd Like To See: (Sorry if this is repetitive)

Post by Michael Canavan »

cleamon wrote: Just being a devil's advocate here, but even if there are only 250k Logic licenses (and I think that's low), at $200 a pop, that's 50 million $$. They may not NEED to make money, but they surely are.
Personally I don't think that's playing devils advocate. One way to corner a market is to sell low and use your brand. It's just a bit dicey when your 'brand' is the OS that your competitors run on.

I've never bought into the notion that Logic is a loss leader, $200 is the price of almost every major DAWs upgrade cost, initially it might be 4-600, but a good portion of any DAWs sales are to existing users. Simple math really, Logic costs $200 for every version, no upgrades, so in the end it's about the same cost as other DAWs.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

After years of asking I would still like a pref that create all new sends to the off position. Keep the double click for unity though. This would save customers. I know one engineer who moved to ProTools over this. Well, and certain setups when opening new projects which preserve previous project plugs and tracks / different tune. Bye Larry!

Oh, 100MM faders for me please. :-)
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cleamon wrote: Just being a devil's advocate here, but even if there are only 250k Logic licenses (and I think that's low), at $200 a pop, that's 50 million $$. They may not NEED to make money, but they surely are.
If you have access to the Edu store like being a parent of a student (this is new), the Pro Apps Bundle is $199 and includes Logic, Final Cut Pro, Main Stage and a couple more. This was announced in March.

Where is the Pro Support that goes with these "Pro Apps"? It's free money for Apple.

iWork, GarageBand and other apps used to be paid. Now all are free as are OS updates.

As Apple devalues their software, it reinforces the notion that it's only purpose is to sell hardware.

Logic has its uses. For me, I'm sometimes asked to finish projects started in it or GarageBand. If I ever needed AutoTune again, it can be automated in Logic, unlike DP. The idea of ever starting or finishing a project in it .... no, I have a real Pro App for that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

Shooshie wrote: This post originally was way longer. I got very far off topic posting some tips that I thought less experienced users could try for getting a lot more out of DP, a lot faster. The post inspired me to rewrite it for the Tips Sheet, so I did, and it's now a much better post than the one I wrote here, so I'm deleting the parts of this post that are not related to the OP's questions or comments. Go to the Tips Sheet, page 11 for the "Turbo Tips" that were originally here.

Shooshie

Thanks for taking the time to post that, and for all of your thoughtful posts!
digitiki

Post by digitiki »

I'd like to see
1. The ability to do extremely precise edits in the Sequence window and not have to move over to the Waveform edit window.

2. The ability to add a MONO Master Track for mixing down to mono.

Is there a feature request form on the MOTU web page?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

digitiki wrote:2. The ability to add a MONO Master Track for mixing down to mono.
Can you do what you want somewhere between the fold down option on the master fader, and the mono option in the bounce dialog?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

This thread makes me kinda happy, looking at how many of Asenrory's wishlist items came true.
Asensory wrote:I don't see a thread devoted to features and improvements users would like to have in an upcoming version of DP. I see a bugs and issues thread, but not a requests/improvements thread. So I'm posting some stuff I think would be cool. No doubt most of these wishes are not original to me, but as I said I don't see a consolidated thread of this kind.

Piano Roll- the piano roll is quite small, the lines representing MIDI data are super thin and hard to see/read. It would be nice to see a thicker bar, something easier to see and edit in detail.
Big improvements in DP10 here.
Loops- An edit/change loops option. Highlight the loop and this would bring up a box with options to change the loop settings, just like the Insert Loops box has now.

Loops- Graphic Editing, I would love to be able to grab the tail end of a loop, in either the Sequence window or Tracks overview, and drag it to the desired length. The gray bar would snap in place as I drag the reticle, editing the loop length along the way.
Clips replacing loops solves these two.
Clip Launching. Yeah yeah yeah, I know, why do it when Logic Pro for iOS and of course Ableton do it so well. Well, maybe because I don't want to have to LEARN another DAW, and maybe I like DP but just want that option so as to explore additional creative methods, and the live/stage application it would have.
Your wish is granted!
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.