Add node for all CC's at selection or cursor?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
LGK_Dude
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Add node for all CC's at selection or cursor?

Post by LGK_Dude »

Is there a way to add MIDI CC nodes for each MIDI CC in use at selections or cursor? I often use CC1, 7 & 11 for shaping performances and unfortunately in scoring to picture when the picture changes you have to make adjustments, but when I snip out bars that have MIDI CC shaping nodes, it will remove them as expected, but this leads to parts that play after to play back at differently as the nodes they used in the previous phrase are now gone.

To avoid this I need to create nodes for each MIDI CC in use before sniping out bars. Is there a easy way to do this hopefully?
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 8-core 2.93 24GB Ram, Mac OS 10.11.6, UA Apollo
magicd

Re: Add node for all CC's at selection or cursor?

Post by magicd »

Go to the MIDI editor window and set the CC display to Lines (bottom right hand corner). Each controller will be displayed as a line. Clicking on that line will insert a new event at the current CC value.

Dave
LGK_Dude

Post by LGK_Dude »

Thank you! yeah, this is what I'm currently doing, though I was hoping for a way to do this to 50+ tracks in one go instead of having to go one by one.
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 8-core 2.93 24GB Ram, Mac OS 10.11.6, UA Apollo
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If you have a few minutes and want to try some things, here is a post in the Tips Sheet about creating and editing MIDI Control Points. There's actually a lot to know that can make DP a lot faster and easier to use.

Creating & Editing MIDI Control Points (from page 2 of the Tips Sheet)

Now we also have lanes in the Sequence Editor, and things may be slightly different since the time the post was created. But the basics are all still there.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Greg Magee

Post by Greg Magee »

I can't see an easy solution for this, but this might be a little less laborious than your current clicking solution if you have a significant number of MIDI tracks.

1. Create three individual saved searches in the search window for CC1, CC7 & CC11 where the output 'action' of the search is 'Display in search result window'.
2. Sifting through the results and command clicking on the desired values of each of the above searches in turn will allow you to select the last CC value on each track for a given selection. Once you have all the desired values selected then press the 'Select' button on the bottom of the search result window.
3. Select Copy from the Edit Menu (Command C) and then Paste (Command V) into an available free bar. Because it's highly like that the CC values will be staggered across different bar beats/ticks the next step is to move all these new values to the same position in the bar to facilitate moving them back a few ticks prior to your proposed edit. This can be done using the Shift Command (Command L) and selecting an absolute bar / beat location or quantizing the CC to the bar (making sure you have the controllers option selected in the quantize window).

Repeat steps 1-3 for each CC value for which you have a saved search.

I know this sounds pretty laborious and this would probably be much clearer with a video, but I hope it helps.

It would be nice if DP operated like Pro tools in this regard where performing a split function on a range selection of automation creates 2 breakpoints at the selection bounds.

All the best

Greg
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

LGK_Dude wrote:
To avoid this I need to create nodes for each MIDI CC in use before sniping out bars. Is there a easy way to do this hopefully?
This has been an issue since forever... It amazes me that MOTU hasn't fixed it, since it makes DP feel and act like an amateur app in this respect.
I've talked about it here ad nauseam, and DP is still is the dumbest DAW in existence when it comes to pasting or sniping audio automation and CCs between tracks. And the situation is exactly the same for Conductor Track tempo :smash:

I resent this because the algorithm to fix it is so simple and easy to implement! This would save us so much time! You know, time to dedicate to our music-making instead of babysitting all tracks after each snip or paste...

In the mean time, I think you can do what you want easily with snapshots, which are AWESOME!
IIRC, you can add nodes for any time-range selection for CCs that are showing in the current editors, and even many at a time using the Automation Setup filter.
The relevant dialog boxes allow you to have lots of options, so explore them and see if this is useful to you. Check the manual for all the details about Snapshots.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Greg Magee

Post by Greg Magee »

I'm not sure that you can enable any other automation types for a MIDI track other than Volume, Pan and Track Mute. Snapshots work really well for audio and allow multiple automation types to be written in the desired manner, but I don't think MIDI tracks are the same.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Greg Magee wrote:I'm not sure that you can enable any other automation types for a MIDI track other than Volume, Pan and Track Mute. Snapshots work really well for audio and allow multiple automation types to be written in the desired manner, but I don't think MIDI tracks are the same.
You are totally correct!

I don't know what I was thinking about, since what you just mentioned has been another thing I keep dreaming MOTU will fix (incorporate into DP) soon.

One can not even mute or bypass other CCs except for the ones you mentioned :smash:
Like we discussed ad nauseam in another thread, audio automation and CC automation should have the same features and make them really uniform.

Maybe in DP X?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Greg Magee wrote:I can't see an easy solution for this, but this might be a little less laborious than your current clicking solution if you have a significant number of MIDI tracks.

1. Create three individual saved searches in the search window for CC1, CC7 & CC11 where the output 'action' of the search is 'Display in search result window'.
2. Sifting through the results and command clicking on the desired values of each of the above searches in turn will allow you to select the last CC value on each track for a given selection. Once you have all the desired values selected then press the 'Select' button on the bottom of the search result window.
3. Select Copy from the Edit Menu (Command C) and then Paste (Command V) into an available free bar. Because it's highly like that the CC values will be staggered across different bar beats/ticks the next step is to move all these new values to the same position in the bar to facilitate moving them back a few ticks prior to your proposed edit. This can be done using the Shift Command (Command L) and selecting an absolute bar / beat location or quantizing the CC to the bar (making sure you have the controllers option selected in the quantize window).

Repeat steps 1-3 for each CC value for which you have a saved search.

I know this sounds pretty laborious and this would probably be much clearer with a video, but I hope it helps.

It would be nice if DP operated like Pro tools in this regard where performing a split function on a range selection of automation creates 2 breakpoints at the selection bounds.

All the best

Greg
You remind me of myself; I love the Search window, and solutions like this are my mainstay when working. They sound complicated to explain, but they only take like 3 seconds to do. Especially after the first time, when you set it up. Once your searches are saved, it goes very fast. Likewise the Shift command. Command-L is one of my best friends. (as opposed to Shift-L, which brings up the Commands Window, also a best friend)

This is a brilliant solution, and I suggest that anyone with this desired result take a moment to look through his steps and try them. Once you do, they will make sense and be fast.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Greg Magee wrote:I'm not sure that you can enable any other automation types for a MIDI track other than Volume, Pan and Track Mute. Snapshots work really well for audio and allow multiple automation types to be written in the desired manner, but I don't think MIDI tracks are the same.
Well, I think you can automate MIDI plugins. I haven't had to do that in over 10 years, but I believe I used to do that.

Most of our MIDI "automation" comes from MIDI controllers, which are in the track itself, of course.

My pet peeve at the moment is Track Volume. You can't add a control point by clicking. You have to click it and change its value before the control point will stick. That means you can't just click three times, then drag the middle one down to lower a single point in the track volume. Maybe they discourage that. If you re-edit any comps, the soundbites in the affected comps will lose their Track Volume. Maybe that's a reason not to do complex editing of Track Volume, and save it for the Volume fader instead.

Still, I'd rather be the one to decide how I use Track Volume. Make the control point stick when you click, MOTU! Please?

Shooshie
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

You could temporarily group the MIDI tracks, show all lanes with data (this will show you the CC automation that exists for each track ) and then create you break points. Since the tracks are grouped whatever you do on one will happen on the others. You still have to do it for each CC but at least you only have to do it on one track.
Greg Magee

Post by Greg Magee »

That's the answer. By far the simplest!