Study: Falling CD sales can't be blamed on P2P

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jim »

The hologram on Captain Beyond, the colored vinyl of Nazz, the folded up pyramid on Ambrosia's final album, the bumper sticker with Safe As Milk, the posters with Dark Side of the Moon, The Thick as a Brick foldout....
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Timeline wrote:Following up on Steels comment, I went to Tower to look up the Smile -Brian Wilson album and noticed they were selling a Vinyl version for over $30 bucks. I think you would have to get that price down to CD costs to compete James but it's a nice idea.

I think a DVD with copy protection doing 24 bit 96K has a shot and will likely be the value added fix were looking for as long as the price is ok.

I would love to have pics, booklet, DVD sized on a John Lennon
compilation as well done as the postcard art for my collection.
This just came up in Wired News todat James.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/au ... tw=rss.TEK
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
jon

Post by jon »

I remember when I was a young lad, music and movies was it! I would follow my parents through the isles of Peaches record store every Saturday and was over whelmed by the amount of record buyers and new records for sale. Over the years I can only find this type of attention regarding this medium at my local Street Light record shop where there is an assortment of used and new but I assume what attracts the buyers is the used because the new and re-issue CD's are well over priced. These times are a changing and popular music is caught in the middle of it all but not as a lead anymore but as a part of the background.
MAC PRO 2x2.26 / OSX 10.7.2 & 6 GB RAM., POWERMAC G5 2x2. / OSX 10.5.9 & 4 GB RAM., MAC BOOK 2.0 / OSX 10.7.2 & 2GB RAM.,DP 7.24, Logic Pro, Motu 896mk3, Lynx Aurora 8, Motu Ultralite Mk3, UAD-2 6.1.0, Mackie Onyx 800R, V-Drums.
Jeroleen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Jeroleen »

I am currently working with someone who has been sued by the majors for copyright infringement. The siple facts are that this man is first generation laborer who makes a bare mimum living.

This person works for wealthier folks and lives in and among them. He tries to give his son all the advantages he can and or course supplied his teenage son with a computer and internet connection.

According to the lawsuit, Mr. X downloaded a large number of pop songs and therefore ingringed on the copyrights as they apply to sound recordings and digital technology.

To settle this lawsuit the settlement team is aksing for $4,500.00. The problem is that the only information they have shared is the number of songs downloaded. If they were not passed on or "distributed" then there was no infringement. In other words, the infringement here is speculative. Under the law however, it is not illegal to simply download as long as you do not distribute the files.

As pointed out by one of the attorneys, it has not yet been decided that merely downloading is "legal". This is, of course, legal semantics since by the same account, it has not yet been decided that it is illegal and therefore it is, by default if you wish, legal.

The record companies are refusing to give the numbers on actual sharing even though it is their burden to do so and to prove "actual infringement". They therefore are basing their settlement demands on proof of an act no deemed illegal and not deemed infringement while refusing to prove any actual infringement.,

NOt only is this a horrbile fraud and dispicable money gauging from a man who can hardly afford it but there is the cute littel ancillary benefit that since the collection is a pooled resource, pa yments to artists are arbitrary at best and as we all know, under such circumstances, the major labels are hardly racing to their checkbooks to cut big fat checks for the artists.

To be sure the issues are complex and I am hardly an expert butit appears to me that the record companies have heard the bell tolling for the monopoly the once held on the music business. It may take years however, for a new fully functioning, here to stay system to emerge. in the meantime, the companies are going to make as much money as they can off of their catalogues.

What this all means to me is that developement of new music is nearly gone for good with respect to the system currently in place. That is going to fall into the hands of folks like you and me as the internet and networking continue to develop. We will be sharing music over the net and will be compensated in relatively modest ways compared to the megabucks music stars ( and the relatively lesser known stars) the past.

The pop music revolution that began with the proliferation of records in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s is like the American Frontier in the 1800s. It is soon to slip into history with a whole new way of making music, "performing" music, recoridng music, buying music and listening music to take its place.

One thing is certain. The monopoly held by the majors is also disappearing. It is yet to be seen whether or not a fully democratic process and business model will emerge or if the monopoly is merely up for grabs to those who manage to be at the frontier of the new system, whatever that may be.

Of course, as a result of this the quality of new music is a bit shakey since some of the most talented among us and those creating new and exciting directions in music have no commercial outlet anymore.

It is a very exciting time and it is up to us to influence the legislature not to pass laws that only benefit the major labels and owner of major catalogues while putting a chilling effect on t he development of the emerging system.

Under the facts of the above case, it would not be a stretch to imagine Mr. X taking the computer away from his son so that his son can cause no further and very e xpensive trouble.

The point is, the companies that still control the music business to a degree have absolutely no interest in new music, new styles or, music in general for that matter. All they care about is how they can glom money from the new technology before their business model dissapears completely.

And that is my opinion.