MIDI express xt usb...is this right?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI express xt usb...is this right?

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Hello again, yet again.

I've been going around and around with motu support and can't get a clear answer.
I use sonar platinum, but the same thing happened when I had dp8.

I have no tracks labeled...just consider this as a complete fresh install.

On any MIDI track, when I choose input a window drops down which shows the 8 MIDI ports. If I mouse over any ports another window drops down to show the various 16 MIDI channels of that port.
This is the way it is supposed to work. This is perfect.

However if I choose the output on any track, I DO get the drop down window showing the 8 MIDI ports but when I mouse over any port, there's nothing. There's no drop down window to choose an individual MIDI channel. The only thing that shows up are the 8 MIDI ports.
I don't know if the track output configuration is supposed to be just like the input. I would think it should be. I should be able to channel any one of the 128 MIDI channel inputs to any of the 128 MIDI channel outputs, but I'm only seeing the 128 inputs and only see 8 MIDI outputs. And because the output selection only shows the 8 ports, I don't even know what MIDI channel the output is aiming at.
I've been dealing with this issue for way too long.
I've clicked on and switched everything I can possibly think of within the daw...sonar. but dp8 did the same thing when it was installed.
Any help will put in tears.
Joni
terrybritton

Re: MIDI express xt usb...is this right?

Post by terrybritton »

Well, the track is already channelized. What you are expecting from the DAW output is an on-the-fly re-channelizing of the data. There are MIDI plugins that can do that - even DP has one. But the output expects to go where the data already recorded was set to go on most DAWs. That is, you are not seeing unusual behavior in either DP8 or in Sonar.

If you do want to send out a different channel, you can use a plugin. But, there may be other approaches. Sonar has the option described in this help page.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation? ... ck.29.html

Is that what isn't working?

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
HARDDRlVER

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Always there with a quick answer, Terry. You're a great help on these boards, I'm sure.
Just wondering if you are in fact familiar with the motu MIDI express XT usb. This thing has a little program called clockwork which works sort of how you describe.
The XT usb is like a glorified MIDI thru box on steroids. You plug in the 8 MIDI cables and 8 MIDI out cables, then it should be controlled by a combination of the daw and 'clockworks'. Clockworks gui has the 8 MIDI in on the left and 8 MIDI out on the right. You make vital connections between any of the left to any of the righy.
But this was where I was getting the doubling of the MIDI the other day, so I leave the virtual cconnections nil.
Now, on the daw side, it just seems to me that something isn't up to snuff on the output selection.
Firstly, on the input selection, you would choose for instance, which synth to be sent to that track. Let's say you have 8 different controllers hooked up to the xt, and let's say you pick the 3rd controller (the 3rd port). This will 'grab' whatever controller is connected to the 3rd port of the xt. Furthermore, let's say you want the 9th MIDI channel of that 3rd port to be the one to actually send the data to the daw. So, in that track, in the input selection, when you click the input, a little drop down box reveals the 8 ports (the 8 controllers). You pick the 3rd port. Once that is picked, you mouse over that 3rd port and (for the xt) yet another drop down window opens up to the right that shows the 16 MIDI channels of that 3rd port. Here you'll choose the 9th MIDI channel.
Ok, great! That's perfect! And that's exactly what I see...on the input selection of a track, that is.

However, it is my belief that the output selection should appear and operate in the exact same manner, identical to the input selection. That is, I should be able to choose any one of the 16 MIDI channels within the 8 MIDI ports.
I do not see this on the output side.
I should be able to choose...port 4, MIDI channel 11, or any of the available 128 MIDI channels the xt is capable of automatically routing.
On the output selection the only thing that's available is the 1st drop down window that shows the 8 output ports. There should also be a drop down window to the right of each of the 8 ports, but there's nothing, just the 8 ports.
So in essence, on the output ports it's kinda like every port is set up omni, that is, the same signal is going to go to all 16 MIDI channels of that port.

I don't know how to explain it any better.
Do these threads support jpgs or any type of picture file?

Thanks again for your thoughts.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

These threads do support displaying an image, but you have to upload the image to some host online and then point the Img tag to that URL.

You did not clarify whether you are using the same MIDI out adjustment as described in that help file at Cakewalk I shared, but I am assuming that is the case.

I do have Sonar, and several ports to select from, so I'll have a look. But this issue might be something intrinsic to the XT.

I have something similar that is ancient - an Opcode 8-Port SE - but I do not use it via the serial connector like it is made for, because computers don't HAVE serial connectors anymore! I do route things out of it to the computers via two MIDI interfaces, though, as I need two separate-but-parallel routes in order to run MIDIQuest. I know I'll be getting an XT myself in the future, as this old Opcode 8-Port SE cannot last FOREVER! ;-)

Anyhow, I'll have some time to fire up Sonar Platinum to see how it works with my setup at least. But I think this is something I may need to have a MIDI Express XT in the house to be of much further help. May be time for a call to MOTU!

617.576.3066 - tech support (9am-6pm EST M-F)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools