DP 9.13 fade-problems not solved

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
lito
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.13 fade-problems not solved

Post by lito »

Hi Forum,
I have once more installed the new 9.13 on my system ( mac late 2012 on 10.11. el cap)
The problem: when I merge soundbites ( maybe with different volumes) with fades, there are no changes on the new track. When I do it without fades, it functions ! On 9.12 there are no problems and all running perfect !
Would it be an advantage maybe to upgrade on 10.12. sierra ? Has somone experiences here with this problem?

Greets from the heart of the alps :wink:
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
HCMarkus

Re: DP 9.13 fade-problems not solved

Post by HCMarkus »

I think MOTU is still straightening out some issues here. In another thread, a member noted MOTU is aware of a similar issue and a fix will be forthcoming. Not sure the OS will make a difference, but always worth a try.

On my system, if I recall correctly, I can write fades and soundbite volume adjustments via Merge, but unless I time shift one of the soundbites (when both are derived from the same soundbite via split) at least nominally, a click is created at the end of the fade. I have reported to MOTU.

The latest build fixed the crash on fade issue for me.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
lito

Post by lito »

@HCMarkus: thanks a lot for the information and your report to MOTU. Until all the bugs are not really solved from MOTU I can work with 9.12 without no problems, or I wait even for DP 10 :mrgreen:

Greets Lito
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
1280bregs

Post by 1280bregs »

Hi HC Markus and lito,

Yes, we are aware of the bite volume / fade issue and are currently working to fix this. Please be sure to update when we release the next version. Thanks!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

1280bregs wrote:Hi HC Markus and lito,

Yes, we are aware of the bite volume / fade issue and are currently working to fix this. Please be sure to update when we release the next version. Thanks!
I would not accept the above as a quote from someone a that MOTU. Anyone could have written it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
1280bregs wrote:Hi HC Markus and lito,

I would not accept the above as a quote from someone a that MOTU. Anyone could have written it.
Pretty sure Andrew works at MOTU... I have corresponded with him via Techlink, so he is at least a very skilled hacker! :wink:

He recently announced a new build of 9.13 that fixed the crash on fade issue but, as noted here and elsewhere, the bugs in this area are still not squashed.

I experienced issues as noted by Lito last night while editing breath levels on a vocal. dropping level of breath (split from original soundbite) messed with vocal portion when overlapped and crossfaded. Leaving a small gap between breath and vocal soundbite fixed this problem.
HC Markus
MIDI Life Crisis

I've worked with Andrew as well. There's no need no indication who the poster is. If a MOTU employee is posting they should indicate who they are. Just sayin'
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've worked with Andrew as well. There's no need no indication who the poster is. If a MOTU employee is posting they should indicate who they are. Just sayin'
He only has 5 posts, it takes 10 seconds to look.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=63297&p=542195#p542195
MIDI Life Crisis

Robert Randolph wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've worked with Andrew as well. There's no need no indication who the poster is. If a MOTU employee is posting they should indicate who they are. Just sayin'
He only has 5 posts, it takes 10 seconds to look.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=63297&p=542195#p542195
Yeah, right. I'm going to search posts like that? Not! That's why there are sigs. Duh!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ze3b
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ze3b »

So how do we work past this until Motu releases a patch?
It will be a pain to write fades elsewhere. Can we downgrade?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ze3b wrote:So how do we work past this until Motu releases a patch?
It will be a pain to write fades elsewhere. Can we downgrade?
There's an easy workaround and you do not have to downgrade.

Download 9.02 — it's still there at motu.com. Rename 9.13 to say, "Digital Performer 9.13" so that 9.02 will not overwrite on installation. You may wish to rename it after installation to keep the versions straight.

Open your file in whatever version gets the job done. Simply open your project in 9.02 when you want to do fades.

There's no licensing issue. The MOTU server only sees DP 9 on your machine and doesn't care what version is running.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I've stayed out of these threads because, I confess, this hasn't been an issue for me. Except for special effects like a slow cross-fade or a fade-down at the end of a song, I never use fades. They are unnecessary to hide a splice.

Instead, I match the amplitude of adjoining wave forms to make my edits seamless. Using edge-edit in DP, this is very easy and once you've done a dozen or so, quite fast.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ze3b
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ze3b »

mikehalloran wrote:I've stayed out of these threads because, I confess, this hasn't been an issue for me. Except for special effects like a slow cross-fade or a fade-down at the end of a song, I never use fades. They are unnecessary to hide a splice.

Instead, I match the amplitude of adjoining wave forms to make my edits seamless. Using edge-edit in DP, this is very easy and once you've done a dozen or so, quite fast.
excellent advice Mike, Thank you.

Ze3b
Partchnik

Post by Partchnik »

Whoa....are you SURE the cross-fade issues are history? I'm using Build 72621, and been editing a 20' 53-Channel classical work: crossfades only work on the tracks that are visible. In other words, only half. :banghead:
Is relief in sight? I've got to get this puppy out the door!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Partchnik wrote:Whoa....are you SURE the cross-fade issues are history? I'm using Build 72621, and been editing a 20' 53-Channel classical work: crossfades only work on the tracks that are visible. In other words, only half. :banghead:
Is relief in sight? I've got to get this puppy out the door!
Not editing across such a large number of tracks, I can't answer your question but wondering if you can zoom way out once fade points are established so as to catch all 53 tracks... good luck on this!
HC Markus