Convert Unisyn files to Sysex files

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

rpatters1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Convert Unisyn files to Sysex files

Post by rpatters1 »

In the 80s and 90s I used Unisyn to design patches for Casio CZ-1000 synth modules. I carefully saved my work in Unisyn, which is now useless to me. (The last version I had was Unisyn 1.5, which apparently was pre-OSX.)

Does anyone know of a way to convert my patches to sysex so that I can load them now? Or would anyone who has a functioning Unisyn be willing to do it?
cleamon

Re: Convert Unisyn files to Sysex files

Post by cleamon »

I wrote a librarian for the CZ series in the mid-80s. I could display the parameters, but not edit (was working on that when I had to give it up). If you want to send me an example file, I'll take a shot at extracting the data. No promises.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Seems like you'd have to find old hardware that could run Unisyn, dump it into the CZ, then dump it back out of the CZ into a generic Sysex app. The CZ was a weird case though as it used unterminated sysex messages sometimes. (Also handshaking had to occur). I wonder if it can send or receive just a straight bulk dump? It should.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

I've written a small utility, command line tool to convert the unisyn file to individual .syx files. I've tested the results with virtualCZ and it seems to be working fine. Should anyone else need this, I'd be happy to convert your files. PM me and we'll set it up. Since the program is "hard wired" for certain things, it's better that I get your file, convert it, then send you the results.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram