I Feel Like I've Crossed Over To The Dark Side!!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I Feel Like I've Crossed Over To The Dark Side!!

Post by buzzsmith »

(Happy 2K6, everyone!)

I have a couple of clients who are bringing me Pro Tools sessions, so I had no choice!...I took advantage of the end of the tax year and bought an Mbox 2 with PT 6.8.1...

Installed it a few hours ago, and, I have to admit, the install was absolutely painless, and the demo session played immediately with no problems, but it's so wierd to see that wholly different GUI approach in a DAW!

I'm so comfortable in DP, and PT looks so "foreign"! (even though I've spent many, many hours in outside studios watching various engineers work with it)

It just feels so strange that it's now on my studio Mac!

I'm not even going to assume that they'll play nice with each other...when I'm done consolidating PT tracks, I'll shutdown / restart with DP and import these files into my nice and comfy DP workspace.

The only other advantage that I might see down the road are some RTAS plugs that aren't available to DP...See, it's already trying to pull me over!!

I'll be strong and just treat it as an employee that you don't like much, but he does produce, so ya gotta keep him around!

Cheers!

=bz=
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

jon

Post by jon »

Crane Song Phoenix? Me like!
MAC PRO 2x2.26 / OSX 10.7.2 & 6 GB RAM., POWERMAC G5 2x2. / OSX 10.5.9 & 4 GB RAM., MAC BOOK 2.0 / OSX 10.7.2 & 2GB RAM.,DP 7.24, Logic Pro, Motu 896mk3, Lynx Aurora 8, Motu Ultralite Mk3, UAD-2 6.1.0, Mackie Onyx 800R, V-Drums.
MarkH

Re: I Feel Like I've Crossed Over To The Dark Side!!

Post by MarkH »

There is nothing shameful about using Pro Tools. It's one of those programs that gets better over time, although it seems like it's hit 'n miss as to whether people are getting Pro Tools 7 to work as expected on their dual processor and dual core Mac or PC. I've glanced through the Digi's DUC forum.

I had an opportunity to mess with Pro Tools 7 for a few hours when it first came out. The first thing that I noticed is the whole GUI system in Pro Tools feel really slow and clunky. This was on a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 in which apps like Cubase SX just fly. I don't know if PT is like this on Mac, but it was a major turn off for me. Maybe over time I'd get past it.

I do think Digi is headed in the right direction by supporting multiple cpu/core instead of being single cpu only. The better MIDI features are a bonus too.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

PT 7 definitely feels clunky even on my Dual 2.0... But hey you gotta have it for the outside clientele.
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

PT 6.9.2 is still snappy.......if you must use PT.
Unfortunately PT is a neccessary evil. :wink:
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
giles117

Post by giles117 »

What happens when your clients start bringing .ptf files instead of .pts files????

Consolidate selection and run on back to the Bright Side. :) DP :)
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
hearttimes

Post by hearttimes »

i think you'll be surprised. we go back and forth here all the time and works quite well. we did buy the digitranslator and use hd, though.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

giles117 wrote:What happens when your clients start bringing .ptf files instead of .pts files????

Consolidate selection and run on back to the Bright Side. :) DP :)
Giles:

That is indeed my current plan...since I'm a PT novice (I know I could Google this)...what's the difference between a .ptf and a .pts file!? :?

Thanks!

=bz=
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

I love my ProToolsHD system more than life itself..... sad, aint it? ;-) Seriously, ProTools IS the main system you'll find in more studios around the world than anything else--but that doesn't mean it's the only choice. There are many making good money using DP, but also have ProTools to support that client-base as well. I have many clients who are running DP, but also have an Mbox to give them ProTools when they need it... and there are even some who buy a TDM system just for the processing to power DP.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS