Biggest issue for not purchasing DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rangerx
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Biggest issue for not purchasing DP

Post by rangerx »

after talking with friends, they like DP but the graphics just toooo! small we all use hi res monitors and the fonts in some cases people struggle to see , in my case the edit points for MIDI velocity are the size of pinheads , what a struggle , there is a work around but not good enough,

so motu update the GUI your daw is designed for monitors from the 80"s
you would increases your sales i'm sure or at least give an option of down load for hi res monitors
Last edited by rangerx on Sat May 20, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac min 16 gig, Mac pro 6.1 64 gig
Kawai VPC1 ,Nektar P6, Maschine Studio, 2 Mascjine Jam
Motu 828 es, acer touch screen t272hul. 3 Asus monitiors

ITS A GOOD DAY FOR A SMILE !
Klaus

Re: Bigest issue for not purchasing DP

Post by Klaus »

Reduce your monitor resolution…
I use a 32" TV and it's cool

Klaus
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You are 100% right, and most folks on here agree. It is something that MOTU should address. I've done some pretty painstaking editing of tempos using the graphic conductor track, and the little T's are quite hard to click & drag on with a retina display.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

Sadly MOTU doesn't seem to have the proper resources to improving DP to it's full potential. Sure the program 'works' but compared to today's DAW's it lacks in innovation and stability. MOTU releases weak updates which seem like they weren't even beta tested (9.0) and 9.0 was released on 6/15 and they're still working out the bugs 2 years later. Seems users such as myself have grown a custom to 'work arounds' hoping that someday MOTU will fix DP so it simply works as it should. I'm sure some will argue my comments, and of course they're entitled to their opinions just as I am, however if my business wasn't so deeply embedded into DP I would switch to Cubase. Unfortunately the task of switching keeps me up at night.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In recent months we've been able to lay some of the responsibility for DP's development priorities and lack of stability on Apple's ridiculous pace of OS releases.

And some of us are in a weird limbo of either resisting OS updates, or straddling them.

As for not buying DP or switching to another DAW, it's obviously a matter of where your priorities are. Years ago, I tried Lodge..Ick! in an attempt to move away from DP. And I really hated LP. I came running back to DP with my tail between my legs. "I'm sorry I ever doubted you!"

For me, the main pain is that DP crashes about once every five sessions, sometimes in front of clients. And I sometimes lose work, and sometimes that is painful. But as for the workflow stuff, I'm mostly satisfied.

Little things about selection & dragging get on my nerves, but they are hardly noticed by most people besides me. This tiny screen icons is not a deal breaker, just a sign of something that could be fixed, but hasn't been.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

rangerx

Post by rangerx »

Klaus wrote:Reduce your monitor resolution…
I use a 32" TV and it's cool

Klaus
i use 4 montiors i can do this but then i have reconfig for other programs , not to mention most plugins already address the hi res issue, i like fast work flow dp has this . after awhile i go with anothe daw for ideas then at the end use DP for the main work still we shouldn't have to adjust
Mac min 16 gig, Mac pro 6.1 64 gig
Kawai VPC1 ,Nektar P6, Maschine Studio, 2 Mascjine Jam
Motu 828 es, acer touch screen t272hul. 3 Asus monitiors

ITS A GOOD DAY FOR A SMILE !
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The monitor resolution workaround is just that.

I guess another way to think of the screen resolution issue with DP is that most of the UI as workable at multiple resolutions, but there is are a few areas where the tiniest elements are too tiny on modern monitors.

apanacci

Re: Biggest issue for not purchasing DP

Post by apanacci »

I dont think we should have to rely on monitor res. There should be a choice in the program. I mix in PT most of the time because of its DUI size. I hate editing in DP in MIDI because everything is sooooo small.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

apanacci wrote:... I hate editing in DP in MIDI because everything is sooooo small.
MIDI or Audio?

With audio, I can make anything any size I want. MIDI, otoh, can sometimes be a bit of a struggle but I manage.
DP 11.3; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.2.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBP Catalina
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

The MIDI part Mike. The little dots and lines. Audio editing is fine for me. Also as it has been posted many times, the size of the mixer.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Funny, I'm near sighted so I don't wear my glasses when working with DP. My monitors are just over two feet away, so even though I get that this is an issue, I often work in other DAWs and wonder why people don't complain about them? There are areas with tiny fonts in most DAWs. The major thing MOTU needed to change years ago was the little microscopic v's on the top of the lines for velocity in the MIDI and Sequence editors. That wasn't that great 17 years ago on low resolution monitors and it's even worse now. There's a solution for it in this forum if you search for it, somebody modded it to be a much larger square. 8)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/suggestions

I just sent this, feel free to do the same! :)
The Velocity v in Digital Performer needs to be updated for modern screen resolutions, it's barely visible, and a constant complaint of people thinking about switching to DP.

In general the GUI would befit from a refresh to allow for visibility higher resolution settings, larger fonts etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Just dropped them a line about that. Never thought to, but as my eyes grow older, I need all the help I can get !
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Get SwitchResX. It allows one to set custom screen resolutions on a per application basis.

Or get a bigger 4k monitor. I find DP is quite usable at full-res on a 40" 4k monitor.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

apanacci wrote:Just dropped them a line about that. Never thought to, but as my eyes grow older, I need all the help I can get !
Thanks for that. MOTU has to pick up on the fact that its "since-forever" die-hard fans still working with DP are going to get, um, "older" one of these days! :|

Terry
Computer: Dell XPS 8700-1751BLK | Intel i7 4790@3.6Mhz | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Windows 10 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.2 | Cantabile 3 Performer
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk1 & S-49 Mk2,
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010, Peavey PC 1600x
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, 2x Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools