DP 9.13 available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bleach30
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.13 available

Post by bleach30 »

JSmith1234567 wrote:Can someone confirm that they have NOT brought back the global preference to run all plug-ins in real-time?

This is the reason I went back to 9.02 after terrible performance and annoyances in 9.12.

Thanks!
Not there. I was hoping for the same thing.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Michael Canavan wrote:
bleach30 wrote: and the bigger one of NOT being able to save plugin presets from MOTU's OWN plugins. 3rd party plugins preset saving works fine. This is on my home machine and Im about to go to the studio and see what happens there. On that machine currently I can't save ANY plugin presets.
This sounds like Permissions issues to me. Just wondering if you've tried anything on that line?
I've had issues where the OS doesn't allow an application access to my VST and Component folders, or other folders etc.
Oh yes. I've done all of that..many times. This started with a clean install of DP9. It was also a brand new iMac just out of the box. Both of them..home and studio.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

bleach30 wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote:Can someone confirm that they have NOT brought back the global preference to run all plug-ins in real-time?

This is the reason I went back to 9.02 after terrible performance and annoyances in 9.12.

Thanks!
Man...I don't understand it.

This is like the ONE biggest complaint about 9.12, and they just ignored it?

It's the thing that made 9.12 unusable for me and allot of other people, considering the voluminous postings about that specific issue here on this forum and talking to friends who use DP.

I can't believe that's not like the first thing they would have fixed?

Do they just want to drive off there customer-base?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

JSmith1234567 wrote:
bleach30 wrote:

Thanks!
Man...I don't understand it.

This is like the ONE biggest complaint about 9.12, and they just ignored it?

It's the thing that made 9.12 unusable for me and allot of other people, considering the voluminous postings about that specific issue here on this forum and talking to friends who use DP.

I can't believe that's not like the first thing they would have fixed?

Do they just want to drive off there customer-base?
Maybe they fixed the pre-rendering engine so it works better... I am looking forward to installing 9.13 and finding out for myself.
waxman

Post by waxman »

The magic mouse in pitch is fixed...

I used DP 9.13 the last two days and added the latest 3.3 update for the Raven. Thankfully all is working well. HC is correct how could they not fix the global run in real time?

I record at 128 and mix and 256. I have NOT had any issues with those buffer settings. I have had issues when I go up to 512 and 1024.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Maybe they fixed the pre-rendering engine so it works better... I am looking forward to installing 9.13 and finding out for myself.
I know, right? I mean imagine IF... :D

We now return you to doom and despair... :shock:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waxman wrote:The magic mouse in pitch is fixed...
Yippee! Installing now.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bleach30 wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:
bleach30 wrote: and the bigger one of NOT being able to save plugin presets from MOTU's OWN plugins. 3rd party plugins preset saving works fine. This is on my home machine and Im about to go to the studio and see what happens there. On that machine currently I can't save ANY plugin presets.
This sounds like Permissions issues to me. Just wondering if you've tried anything on that line?
I've had issues where the OS doesn't allow an application access to my VST and Component folders, or other folders etc.
Oh yes. I've done all of that..many times. This started with a clean install of DP9. It was also a brand new iMac just out of the box. Both of them..home and studio.
I'm sitting here able to save presets in MOTU's plug ins. I'm not talking about just repairing permissions. I had an issue where the permissions OSX was writing were too strict for the application I was using, AudioFinder, and it could not use this cool plug in manager it has to disable plug ins, it didn't have permission according to the OS.
So you can change permissions for a folder and all the files in that folder, I did that to my VST and Component folder. You might be able to depending on how this problem happens change permisions to allow all to write to the user/Library/Audio/Presets/MOTU folder.
Personally I would take it all the way back to the Audio folder, but the basic operation is simple, do a "Get info" on the folder, in my case it shows my user name (me) with read and write privileges and 'everyone' with no access. Even if that's the same for you I would at least try giving temporarily 'everyone' read and write privileges. I had to do that to allow Audio Finder to move VSTs.

The thing is it could be anywhere along the path that permissions are messed up, and it's definitly possible that the OS thinks it's just fine, wont' correct it etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread a few times (and it probably would have helped me greatly before installing the update to have read through it), but I had quite a scare when I installed 9.13 and not only would none of my projects load up, but they weren't even recognized by DP any longer. After trying a few things, I opened a new project and everything checked out, which only made not being able to open my 9.12 files more of a mystery. It was after quitting out of this untitled test project when I noticed that the test project I'd created in 9.13 had a brand new suffix I'd never seen before: ".dpdoc". Maybe this existed in v9.12, but I didn't have any problem opening DP projects that weren't labeled this way, nor did it appear to be saving projects with that suffix. I added the ".dpdoc" filetype suffix to my 9.12 project files and they opened with zero problem. I don't recall seeing anything about this in the release notes, and again, while some of you may not have experienced this problem, both 9.01 and 9.12 did not require reading from, nor did they save to ".dpdoc" files.

Oh, yeah, and while I haven't taken v9.13 for a proper test drive yet, all else appears to be well -- dare I say, even loading up more quickly than v9.12?
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Armageddon wrote:...9.13 had a brand new suffix I'd never seen before: ".dpdoc"...
My files started getting .dpdoc extensions in 2013 (I just checked the production stuff from that and earlier, so it's been around quite a long time now.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

James Steele wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Maybe they fixed the pre-rendering engine so it works better... I am looking forward to installing 9.13 and finding out for myself.
I know, right? I mean imagine IF... :D

We now return you to doom and despair... :shock:
I'd love to take some days off and beta-test it and see if it works, then spend a day getting things back to 9.02-normal if it doesn't, but I have to work.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Michael Canavan wrote: Personally I would take it all the way back to the Audio folder, but the basic operation is simple, do a "Get info" on the folder, in my case it shows my user name (me) with read and write privileges and 'everyone' with no access. Even if that's the same for you I would at least try giving temporarily 'everyone' read and write privileges. I had to do that to allow Audio Finder to move VSTs.

The thing is it could be anywhere along the path that permissions are messed up, and it's definitly possible that the OS thinks it's just fine, wont' correct it etc.

This is a great suggestion and something I hadn't thought about....unfortunately did not work. I went through all the paths associated with plugins and preferences etc..issue persists. FWIW the folders for the 3rd party plugins I can save to had the exact same permissions as the ones I can't save to.

I think I am the oddball on this one. But on two machines?? Come on sheesh..
OLB

Post by OLB »

bleach30 wrote: This is a great suggestion and something I hadn't thought about....unfortunately did not work. I went through all the paths associated with plugins and preferences etc..issue persists. FWIW the folders for the 3rd party plugins I can save to had the exact same permissions as the ones I can't save to.

If I remember correctly I created a folder called 'MOTU' in Library/Audio/Presets/
Hope this works!
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Two machines with the same problem ... ok....

You copied the files over without zipping first. This has been an issue since DP 7.1 (and with Word, Apple installers and many other apps and file types). Doesn't matter if you copied them via Dropbox, sneaker net, network server, cloning etc. Had you used Migration Assistant or Time Machine restore, this wouldn't be a problem.

If you have access to your old Mac, zip the files, then copy them over and unzip onto your new machines. This will grant the proper privileges and permissions. If this is not possible, post here and I will give some suggestions.

Again, this also goes for MS Office, Adobe and many other file types.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:My files started getting .dpdoc extensions in 2013 (I just checked the production stuff from that and earlier, so it's been around quite a long time now.
I never encountered it until yesterday, and I've been pretty religious about upgrading to the current version. It never showed up on my project files until now, nor did I ever have to type it in manually to open a DP project; the project files always opened without any problem or modification since v3. I also usually have my extensions hidden, so the ".dpdoc" extension may have been under the hood all this time and I just never noticed. The extension of the New file I created in 9.13 wasn't hidden. All very strange ... but simply typing in that extension allowed v9.13 to recognize and open all my project files.

It should also be noted that I just upgraded to Sierra from El Cap last weekend ... I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page