DP crashing when bouncing movie to disc

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
garywilliamson1
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP crashing when bouncing movie to disc

Post by garywilliamson1 »

Hi all, on W10, latest version of DP. On this project I'm working on, about a 6 minute movie clip, when I try to bounce the movie and score I created to disc, DP just shuts down. I'm following the directions right out of the manual(page 903) to do this.

I can bounce the audio itself to disc, but when I try bounce the movie with tracks, it shuts down. Any ideas? thanks!
DP10, Studio One 4 Pro
Dell XPS, i7, 32gb ram, Windows 10
UAD Apollo Twin USB
too many plugins
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP crashing when bouncing movie to disc

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'd start by disabling plugs. In particular, I'd disable VST plugs or change to their AU version. PSP Xenon and a couple of other PSP VST plugs crash DP 9 on bounce. It's been reported to MOTU. No fix in DP 9.12. DP 9.02 is largely used in place of 9.12 by quite a few users.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Just noticed you're on. PC so you may not have the option to use AUs. Try removing the VST plugs. Simply disabling them might not be enough but you could try that as a quick test.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
garywilliamson1

thanks! I will try disabling plugs, the audio bounces fine though, but, I'm willing to try anything at this point.
DP10, Studio One 4 Pro
UAD Apollo Twin USB
too many plugins
garywilliamson1

tried no plugs,at all, zero, no luck, have a ticket open with MOTU, their first response, moving it to a different project yielded the same result. i tried another test with video, audio, 30 sec. video, one instrument track, hit export to movie(page 903) nearly instant crash, i get the bounce window, but it just quits after that and shuts down, no warning.
DP10, Studio One 4 Pro
UAD Apollo Twin USB
too many plugins
PoliticalBonobo

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

Unfortunately, I've never had very good luck with doing movie exports out of DP on Windows. I've experienced crashes, too, and if it did actually export I'd get a messed up video (unwatchable quality). MOTU acknowledged the issue and said they were working on it, but I've since been bouncing out of another video editing program.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
garywilliamson1

yeah, I've been loading the movie into Wondershare Filmora, then add my stereo mix, then export out of that. works good.
if I go back to 9.0, i can bounce movie to disk, but its incredibly slow, so I stay in 9.1 and do the workaround.
DP10, Studio One 4 Pro
UAD Apollo Twin USB
too many plugins
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Download a good RAM testing app. I'm not saying that you have a bad stick but you are experiencing one of the symptoms. I don't know the good ones for Windows anymore.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
garywilliamson1

thanks, i did the built in W10 memory checker, or whatever it's called. come up nothing. maybe i'll try an aftermarket one. any good free ones?
DP10, Studio One 4 Pro
UAD Apollo Twin USB
too many plugins
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

On page 898 of the Digital Performer User's Guide, it says "(Mac only) for bouncing to a CD.
Is this possible under Windows or not ?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
tomasmurmis

Post by tomasmurmis »

Hi all! Any luck with this? I'm experiencing the same issue on several PC's Windows 10 DP 9
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

Sorry about being kind of late on this and I don't remember what video container I used, I think it was MP4, but I changed the codec that I used to compress the video because DP would just close out when it can time to render. Sorry about being light on details but try a different codec and resolution, if resolution is not an issue. I usually import 720p video. My workflow for dealing with video.

I export from Premiere via Media Encoder: h.264, 720p, 6mbps target and 10mbps max.

Oh, I just remembered this...If you do a search on YouTube for Downloading Widows Movie Maker, that program makes a very compatible container that works with DP. I discovered this a while back for another related issue I had with ProTools.

Good luck.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai