Edits affecting all takes?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Edits affecting all takes?

Post by SMS »

Is there a way to move data around so that all takes are included? For example, I record a track with multiple takes, then decide to omit a section. I'd like to be able to use the Edit>Snip to get rid of the section I don't want, yet still be able to choose from different takes and have data from after the edit be in the right place.

I was thinking I could use the SE, by doing "Show Takes" on all tracks, but that won't work for MIDI tracks...
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
FMiguelez

Re: Edits affecting all takes?

Post by FMiguelez »

Not really... Not without a boring and workflow-killing work around... :(
I wrote complaining about this like a year ago, along with some suggestions on how to fix it.
I would like to think DP10 will address this at some point, since it obviously could use improvement, just like the issue of how to deal with closed folders and its contents with time-related edits.

So what you have to do now is, every time you need to make time-related edits, you must "explode" your takes into tracks, edit away, and then implode them back in the form of takes.

I found about this the hard way, so I had to restore all the moved and out-of-sync takes by hand, one by one. I don't know whether that method is reliable or not.
I suppose DP still remembers the comped takes when you implode them back. I'd check first...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
SMS

Post by SMS »

I wonder if maybe including the conductor track should tell DP that you want ALL Data to be affected, or maybe just an option key with the command would do it....
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, this has always really bothered me. I've written to MOTU about it too, but the nature of comp takes, and the data structuring of DP projects makes it difficult. Comp "marks" are sort of a "pinned on" feature that doesn't really fit in with the rest of the project schema. It's not really part of a track's data in the conventional sense, so it's not beholden to the same rules and transformations.

I like your idea of selecting the conductor track as a way of telling DP to include comp data. However, what they REALLY need to do is have an actual "track preferences" window, per track, and have that be a toggle option. So many other useful features like MIDI keyboard splits to per-track input filtering could be done if they just added a track settings window.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
SMS

Post by SMS »

As I think about it, if you select a time range for all tracks including the Conductor track in the TO window, it would be a logical for DP to assume you're wanting to affect ALL 'layers' of data.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

SMS wrote:As I think about it, if you select a time range for all tracks including the Conductor track in the TO window, it would be a logical for DP to assume you're wanting to affect ALL 'layers' of data.
One would think that but, in trying to help a fellow member a few weeks ago with a similar (perhaps same) issue, I ran a test on a project copy.

I selected every track in the TO window within a defined range, say bar 10 through 20.

All tracks were highlighted within that designated range.

Then I hit the delete key. All info disappeared EXCEPT the Take 2, Take 3, etc. Underlying punch-ins or alternate takes within the SAME Take were deleted.

It appears that only what's "visible' is affected.

Does that help at all?

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, Buzzy's right (unfortunately). Making a selection on the time ruler doesn't do anything special, other than act like you're selecting all visible tracks, but it's essentially the same as if you just drew a big 2D selection that encompassed all the of the tracks... it doesn't "drill down" into the takes, or anything that you couldn't do with a single mouse drag. Selecting the conductor track doesn't do anything at all, as the conductor track doesn't actually have any physical relationship with the other tracks.

But I think many of us can agree, that this is something sorely missing from DP.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
SMS

Post by SMS »

Right. This is how I know it works. Of course, selecting the conductor does allow data there to be edited. For example, select an entire Chorus then do Edit>Trim and it deletes the Chorus and moves the rest of the sequence earlier in one operation, including markers, key sigs, meters, etc. in the Conductor Track if it's selected.

In particular for those types of operations (Snip, Splice, Shift), I think intuitively it should affect all 'layers'.

Maybe that should be true for all the menu-invoked operations, while moving data with the mouse and keyboard could just affect visible data?

Gotta be a logical way to implement this.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

SMS wrote:Maybe that should be true for all the menu-invoked operations, while moving data with the mouse and keyboard could just affect visible data?
Bingo, put the option right below "Smart Selections"
— Eric Barker
Eel House