Installing Ethno Sounds

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's Ethno virtual instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

AsensoryMusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Installing Ethno Sounds

Post by AsensoryMusic »

I am installing Ethno2 on my Mac and ran into some issues. When I instantiate E2, Digital Performer (9) crashes. I believe there's an issue with the RARs I downloaded and un-archived. There are 3 files I downloaded from MOTU. 2 of them say "Exec" and the other last one has the UVI logo. I dragged them to applicationsupport/motu/ethno.

Any thoughts on what may be wrong?
mhschmieder

Re: Installing Ethno Sounds

Post by mhschmieder »

I had this problem so many years ago that I can't remember how I solved it, other than knowing that I had corrupted files and replaced them somehow.

I'm about to delete Ethno 2 from my system as it is now redundant with the new UVI World Suite that I bought last month, but possibly I can do some sort of file history on what I have to see if it identifies the source and date.

My original installation was from a boxed version on DVD's. But I'm pretty sure there was a downloaded update from the MOTU site that I performed later.

Also, I made an alias, moving to an external drive, and there may have been some trick I had to do due to there being three files in total.

At any rate, just confirming you're not the only one who has had the problem of two of the files showing up as Unix executables at first. Maybe I simply edited the file suffixes on those files.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

Thanks for the reply...

I'm going to re-un-archive the downloaded files using the recommended un-RARer rather than what I used. that's the only thing I can think of for now. I'll write to MOTU if nothing else works.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I've gone through too many disc swaps to have a proper file history, but the modification date on the Ethno files is 28 January 2010.

Ethno 2.ufs is 8.38 GB
Ethno 2.ufs1 is 8.38 GB and identifies currently as a "Document" (not a UVI file or a Unix exe)
Ethno 2.ufs2 is 5.31 GB and identifies currently as a "Document" (not a UVI file or a Unix exe)

Note the spaces in the file names. I wonder if this is causing you a problem, whether due to an incorrect UTF-8 character replacing US-ASCII-7 space (hex 0x20), or problems with aliases, etc.?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

Thanks for the info ... I was finally able to successfully load the sounds. I re-un-archived the files using MOTU's recommended tool (The Unarchiver) rather than the one I already had. I then replaced the 3 in applicationsupport/motu/ethno with the newly extracted files and tried again. I think I still had one UVI file and 2 Univ exe files, but maybe I should check that again.

Good news is, it worked. Thanks for your input.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Glad to hear it worked.

Periodically, I have to switch archiving tools, then find there's an update I didn't know about (it's not like we get email alerts to these updates!).

The Unarchiver tends to be my most reliable one -- especially for library files.